Thread: My new found addiction (I mean Hobby)

Default My new found addiction (I mean Hobby)

Ok, so i was cutting up some honeydew for my wife and I to enjoy, when i give a little bite and it melts in my mouth (we only get very few months of awesome hneydew). All I can think is how awesome it would taste as a melomel, and how selfish a husband i must be for wanting to use it all for my mead .

Can I take a traditional mead recipe and add honeydew to it. If so, are there any good simple recipes that involve the two. And how much fruit should i expect to use in a gallon brew? (so I can squirrel away some now before its all gone)
    Chop1620
    “The brain is like a muscle. When it is in use we feel very good. Understanding is Joyous.”
    Carl Sagan

For most melomels the suggested dosing for fruit is 3#/ gal
    Making Mead With TLC since 2010

The search button along the top row can help you found what other people have done and how it turned out. Here's a recent Honeydew melomel thread http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...light=Honeydew
    " ...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " -TheFlyingBeer (on HomeBrewTalk)

You might also be better off creating a base mead in primary before racking to fruit. Mild tasting fruit like honeydew tends to lose its flavor if you place it in primary, especially if you use an aggressive yeast like EC-1118 or K1V-1116.

Plus, you can use the base as a blank canvas for just about anything else!
    "The single biggest threat to our planet is the destruction of habitat and along the way the loss of precious wildlife. We need to reach a balance where people, habitat and wildlife can co-exist -- if we don't, everyone loses...one day...Since when has killing a wild animal, eating it or wearing it, ever saved a species?" - Stephen Robert Irwin (1962 - 2006)

5. Default

Different from THawk, I like to use anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of my fruit in the primary, then use the rest in the secondary. The reason is that I tend to like some of the flavors I get when the sugars from the fruit are present for the ferment.

But THawk is absolutely correct that mild tasting fruit can get overrun in the primary.

You're also likely to hear from someone who puts all the fruit in the primary regardless (the very popular Yo Mama's Strawberry Pizazz is a ridiculous amount of fruit all in the primary). Which is to say... there is no hard and fast rule on when to add fruit. People tend to find what works for them in terms of the final outcome.

But, yeah, honeydew... you might want to err on the side of more/all in the secondary.

I’m going to be trying this too. I have been wanting to make a Melon mead. Search the recipe section. Legitopotumus did a cucumber melon mead that sounded very interesting…

awesome Robusto! You'll have to let me know how it turns out! I am going to attempt my melomel this weekend, WOOHOO!
    Chop1620
    “The brain is like a muscle. When it is in use we feel very good. Understanding is Joyous.”
    Carl Sagan