• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

National Homebrew Conference

Barrel Char Wood Products

Nathan K

NewBee
Registered Member
I was just wondering if anyone else here is going to the AHA NHC this year? I didn't think I was going to be able to go because it was sold out but I managed to score a ticket a few weeks ago. I saw that there are going to be several workshops on mead making.

Nathan K

NewBee
Registered Member
It was actually a lot of fun (I know big surprise there). There were two talks from the people at Moonlight Meadery in NH. One was on pairing cheese and mead and came complete with a bunch of cheese and mead samples. The other was just a more general information on mead making.

Some of their techniques seemed interesting, like the fact that they ferment everything at 62F very slowly (three months I think they said), only use one yeast strain (71B if I remember correctly), and don't back-sweeten at all. Of their meads that I tasted, all were very clean and not the slightest bit hot even though they were in the 16 to 18% ABV range. The apple pie mead tasted just like apple pie. Overall, I think most of their range was a little sweeter than I like but that's from tasting probably only 4 of their meads out of the 58 different styles that they make.

I think the videos are going to be posted on the AHA website but you might have to be a current AHA member to access them.

Beyond that, there were some other great talks and there was roughly 1000 kegs of beer to consume (for 1850 people). The food at the banquet dinner was beyond amazing. It was a great time!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Some of their techniques seemed interesting, like the fact that they ferment everything at 62F very slowly (three months I think they said), only use one yeast strain (71B if I remember correctly), and don't back-sweeten at all. Of their meads that I tasted, all were very clean and not the slightest bit hot even though they were in the 16 to 18% ABV range.

Thanks for the summary! And this bit isn't too surprising, if you have an otherwise healthy ferment that's kept slow by low temperatures, I've heard that it doesn't make it hot even at high alcohol levels, it's nice to hear about someone proving the theory!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns