Thread: When you pull off sample for hydrometer - I assume your pour it back in to jug?

1. Default When you pull off sample for hydrometer - I assume your pour it back in to jug?

I am planning on taking my first gravity reading post fermentation start (due to the fact that I broke my hydrometer two days ago). I have a turkey baster do draw the sample and then I assume just pour it back in? Provided the turkey baster is sanitized as it the hydrometer and glass for must?

Thanks!

That's how I do it as long as I sanitized everything, sometimes I say screw sanitizing the hydrometer and test tube and I taste test my sample
    " ...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " -TheFlyingBeer (on HomeBrewTalk)

I do the same as TAKeyser. Sometimes temptation is just too big and I have to taste the sample.
    -=[ Mead n00b / video gaming addict ]=-
    PS: Profile picture is from "The Compleat Meadmaker" by Ken Schramm.

For anything bigger than 1-gal batches I like to drop my hydrometer right inside my wine thief (all sanitized, of course), pull up a sample, take my reading, then let the must back out again. I've never had a batch fail that I could attribute to that... Then I taste the drips that I catch in my hand while transferring the thief to the sink for cleaning
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "Good grief! If someone wanted to murder you, all they would have to do is ship you a 55 gallon barrel of honey and watch you document working yourself to death!" - Vance G
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014

5. Default

Well, I figure since I am still doing one gallon batches, it takes about 6-8 oz of must to get a sample and that is a large percentage of the overall volume.

As long as everything is sanitized it is safe to dump it back in.
    " ...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " -TheFlyingBeer (on HomeBrewTalk)

Quote Originally Posted by scottv View Post
    Well, I figure since I am still doing one gallon batches, it takes about 6-8 oz of must to get a sample and that is a large percentage of the overall volume.
    While this is true, I still recommend tasting the sample. It's a good way to appreciate how the tastes intermingle and mellow with age.
    "I said it was good eats, not fast eats."
    -- Alton Brown

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fivecats View Post
    While this is true, I still recommend tasting the sample. It's a good way to appreciate how the tastes intermingle and mellow with age.
    Ok, I will leave a little in glass for me

I second (and third, fourth etc...) all those who suggest you give it a taste; I pour most of the sample back into the batch, as I do one gallon batches too, but save just a little of the sample to taste

Ok, I will leave a little in glass for me
    Don't drink too much of it, in the beginning it is very crude and too much yeast in your stomach isn't fun either (or so I've heard). I usually just try a little sip or two.
    -=[ Mead n00b / video gaming addict ]=-
    PS: Profile picture is from "The Compleat Meadmaker" by Ken Schramm.

11. Default

Well, I tasted it and while it is still very sweet - I loved it! I could taste the hint of strawberries.
    OG - 1.10
    SG - 1.062

From the calculations that is about just past the 1/3 sugar break, correct? I just let it ride now?

OG - 1.10
    SG - 1.062

From the calculations that is about just past the 1/3 sugar break, correct? I just let it ride now?
    yep you've passed your 1/3 Sugar Break

Yes... And no. About 80% gets returned. The remaining 20 is.... Um, sampled.

14. Default

+1 with Robusto's method.

I usually take my samples to the lab at work and have our lab techs test it for ph and SG. Then they are disposed of in a secure fashion after work, usually by multiple personnel to provide witnesses to the fact that the sample has been destroyed...
    "The single biggest threat to our planet is the destruction of habitat and along the way the loss of precious wildlife. We need to reach a balance where people, habitat and wildlife can co-exist -- if we don't, everyone loses...one day...Since when has killing a wild animal, eating it or wearing it, ever saved a species?" - Stephen Robert Irwin (1962 - 2006)

+1 with Thawk's method!
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "Good grief! If someone wanted to murder you, all they would have to do is ship you a 55 gallon barrel of honey and watch you document working yourself to death!" - Vance G
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014

17. Default

Alright, so I just took the gravity of this mead and it was 1.004. Should I rack to the secondary now and add the strawberries?
    Or should I dump the strawberries in this jug and let that sit for a week or two before racking to secondary?

Thanks!