• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

When you pull off sample for hydrometer - I assume your pour it back in to jug?

Barrel Char Wood Products

scottv

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2012
I am planning on taking my first gravity reading post fermentation start (due to the fact that I broke my hydrometer two days ago). I have a turkey baster do draw the sample and then I assume just pour it back in? Provided the turkey baster is sanitized as it the hydrometer and glass for must?

Thanks!

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
That's how I do it as long as I sanitized everything, sometimes I say screw sanitizing the hydrometer and test tube and I taste test my sample ;D

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
For anything bigger than 1-gal batches I like to drop my hydrometer right inside my wine thief (all sanitized, of course), pull up a sample, take my reading, then let the must back out again. I've never had a batch fail that I could attribute to that... Then I taste the drips that I catch in my hand while transferring the thief to the sink for cleaning :)

scottv

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2012
Well, I figure since I am still doing one gallon batches, it takes about 6-8 oz of must to get a sample and that is a large percentage of the overall volume.

fivecats

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2012
Outside Raleighwood
Well, I figure since I am still doing one gallon batches, it takes about 6-8 oz of must to get a sample and that is a large percentage of the overall volume.

While this is true, I still recommend tasting the sample. It's a good way to appreciate how the tastes intermingle and mellow with age.

Cpt.Frederickson

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 27, 2012
South East, UK
I second (and third, fourth etc...) all those who suggest you give it a taste; I pour most of the sample back into the batch, as I do one gallon batches too, but save just a little of the sample to taste :)

scottv

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2012
Well, I tasted it and while it is still very sweet - I loved it! I could taste the hint of strawberries.
OG - 1.10
SG - 1.062

From the calculations that is about just past the 1/3 sugar break, correct? I just let it ride now?

Robusto

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2011
NJ
Yes... And no. About 80% gets returned. The remaining 20 is.... Um, sampled.

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
I usually take my samples to the lab at work and have our lab techs test it for ph and SG. Then they are disposed of in a secure fashion after work, usually by multiple personnel to provide witnesses to the fact that the sample has been destroyed... ;D

scottv

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2012
Alright, so I just took the gravity of this mead and it was 1.004. Should I rack to the secondary now and add the strawberries?
Or should I dump the strawberries in this jug and let that sit for a week or two before racking to secondary?

Thanks!

5iXrTl.jpg

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns