• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Is this the Beekeeping Future?

Barrel Char Wood Products

randrick

NewBee
Registered Member
When a virgin queen leaves the hive she can mate with as many as 1/2 dozen drones. With naturally mated queens, you may get bees with less desirable traits: aggressiveness, bur comb, high swarming. If you get your queens from the southern US, there could even bee some africanized drones. So funny as it sounds, artificially inseminated queens are common.

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
A queen only mated by a half dozen drones is not well mated. Double digits in almost necessary and common. AI queens are mated with a slurry of semen from a large number of drones from the selected strain. It is amazing how many colors of bees you have in a given colony.

Altricious

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2012
Glens Falls, NY
Give me the life of a honey bee in the wild!

Drone bees have a crappy life. They annoy the workers (all female) and if there's too many devouring resources the workers will kill them off. This assumes that there isn't a virgin queen around in need of mating (which there probably isn't). If there is a new queen, then the drones mate with her and die!

Worker bees have a hard life too. They work very hard and don't live terribly long.

Only the queen gets any benefits, but she has to spend all day laying eggs, so I'm not sure that's all that great either. Don't think she's having a sex party all the time either; They mate once and that lasts them their entire life.

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
I don't loot the hive! I supply them as safe and productive a place to live as possible and encourage them to sucessfully reproduce more colonies (always the prime directive) and take honey that is surplus to their needs. Their needs are a $100 a week trip to Sams club every week for more sugar to make into syrup because the hot dry summer did not allow them enough resources to store winter rations let alone a surplus for me the loving symbiont to share. I think they and their life is purpose driven and may God grant me as much for as long as he sees fit.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
At My Honey Co, where I get much of my honey, they have a plexiglass hive in the store so you can watch the ladies at work.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns