• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Help with Fermintation

Barrel Char Wood Products

Cgardad

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 14, 2013
Okay lets see if I have this right. This is my first post and my first gallon of mead brewed. Below is a list of my ingrediants:
3 lbs of Texas Gold Mesquite Smoked Honey
1 Gallon of Purified Water (87 degrees)
2 tablespoons of Yeast Energizer and Nutrients
1 packet of Lavlin Yeast

Followed the recipe on this website for making a 1 gallon batch of Mead.

Everything is/was going fine, I completed the instructions and placed the airlock in place on 02/07/2013

The question is first;

I am getting 1 yeast bubble every 10-12 seconds, Is this enough?

Second;

How long should I let this sit before I guess racking it and bottling?

Looking forward to many more batches is this works out.

Thanks for any input.

Marshmallow Blue

NewBee
Registered Member
Have you done any aerating? Maybe it just needs some air. Was it going at a faster pace earlier in the week? What size container are you using? (I've noticed that when I use a 5 gallon bucket for a 1 gallon batch there isn't really any activity in the airlock, but you can hear in fizzling away.)

Your going to want to rack when the fermentation is about wrapped up.

BrewinNColorado

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 4, 2008
Boulder County, Colorado
The best tool that one can purchase is a hydrometer.

A hydrometer is an instrument used to measure the specific gravity (or relative density) of liquids; that is, the ratio of the density of the liquid to the density of water.

This will tell you if the yeast are still converting the sugars to alcohol. They are very inexpensive and yield the best information about how your fermentation is coming along.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/beer-and-wine-triple-scale-hydrometer.html

Cgardad

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 14, 2013
To Date

I am using a 1 gallon Glass Carboy, I have not shook or stirred the must yet, is this recommended? It's still fizzing, this I see a all times.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
"bubble rates" are not a good way to judge your fermentation, there are way too many inconsistencies even among the same type of airlock, nevermind how good your seal is, etc etc etc... If it's visibly fizzing, it's still doing its thing so I wouldn't worry about it, as BrewinNColorado states, hydrometer readings are really the only way you're going to know how fast your fermentation is progressing. I also recommend a thorough read of the Newbee Guide.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns