Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Cool Help with Fermintation

Okay lets see if I have this right. This is my first post and my first gallon of mead brewed. Below is a list of my ingrediants:
    3 lbs of Texas Gold Mesquite Smoked Honey
    1 Gallon of Purified Water (87 degrees)
    2 tablespoons of Yeast Energizer and Nutrients
    1 packet of Lavlin Yeast

Followed the recipe on this website for making a 1 gallon batch of Mead.

Everything is/was going fine, I completed the instructions and placed the airlock in place on 02/07/2013

The question is first;

I am getting 1 yeast bubble every 10-12 seconds, Is this enough?

Second;

How long should I let this sit before I guess racking it and bottling?

Looking forward to many more batches is this works out.

Thanks for any input.

My Social Networking

Follow Marshmallow Blue On Twitter

Have you done any aerating? Maybe it just needs some air. Was it going at a faster pace earlier in the week? What size container are you using? (I've noticed that when I use a 5 gallon bucket for a 1 gallon batch there isn't really any activity in the airlock, but you can hear in fizzling away.)

Your going to want to rack when the fermentation is about wrapped up.
    Gallons O' Boos made since 2012: 69
    "It may take longer to be patient" ~Chevette Girl
    My Home Brewing Blog

The best tool that one can purchase is a hydrometer.

A hydrometer is an instrument used to measure the specific gravity (or relative density) of liquids; that is, the ratio of the density of the liquid to the density of water.

This will tell you if the yeast are still converting the sugars to alcohol. They are very inexpensive and yield the best information about how your fermentation is coming along.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...ydrometer.html
    Michael

Not all those who wander are lost.
    -J.R.R Tolkien

4. Default To Date

I am using a 1 gallon Glass Carboy, I have not shook or stirred the must yet, is this recommended? It's still fizzing, this I see a all times.

To answer your question without writing a novel which has already been written but some amazing people here on gotmead... check out the following link to the newbee guide...

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...=443&Itemid=14

There is a lot of information in that guide that will really help in making a good mead.

hope this helps!
    Michael

Not all those who wander are lost.
    -J.R.R Tolkien

"bubble rates" are not a good way to judge your fermentation, there are way too many inconsistencies even among the same type of airlock, nevermind how good your seal is, etc etc etc... If it's visibly fizzing, it's still doing its thing so I wouldn't worry about it, as BrewinNColorado states, hydrometer readings are really the only way you're going to know how fast your fermentation is progressing. I also recommend a thorough read of the Newbee Guide.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014