Thread: hot / alcoholic mead fix

1. Default hot / alcoholic mead fix

I have a batch of mead that finished fermentation about 2 months ago starting at 28 brix down to 11.5. The problem is it is very hot and alcoholic tasting still. Is there a fix for this, say adding oak staves, or time and patience, or do I have to blend it with another batch?

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminmeadery View Post
    I have a batch of mead that finished fermentation about 2 months ago starting at 28 brix down to 11.5. The problem is it is very hot and alcoholic tasting still. Is there a fix for this, say adding oak staves, or time and patience, or do I have to blend it with another batch?
    Most of what I've seen on here indicates that time is the best healer for hot alcohol tastes, they need to mellow. Oaking it will also (usually) require ageing, (although there is research being done on that currently by one of the forum members.)

Time and patience is likely to the answer to your issue, but there are many far smarter people than on this forum.

Tony.
    You're not in control, the yeast is! - Chevette Girl 2013

Add yeast hulls. They should soak up some of the off flavors. What is left will require age. You can cover it up with oak, but you will have nasty headaches if you drink it too young!
    Better brewing through science!

Age should help, oak might take the edge off...
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Hum? to understand your post, I had to do a brix to gravity conversion.

You're saying that 1.120 (or thereabouts) to 1.045 (roughly) is finished ?

With that sort of resulting gravity, it's only a 75 point drop (approximately), which translates to about the 10% ABV area.

And while yes, 1.045 or a bit less would be firmly in the "dessert" mead range, to my thinking, that's a stuck ferment for most wine yeasts and not finished.

Perhaps you made it as a "show mead" ? and didn't use any nutrients ? or did you use nutrients, so that it would then be a "traditional" mead ?

The alcohol hot flavour is the least of your worries. Of course, a full recipe/ingredient listing would help us point you in the right direction, because "alcohol hot" is sometimes just the way a batch comes out and it needs to be aged or maybe have something else done.

Equally, depending on how you made the batch and which yeast was used, it might be fusels. Which still reduce with ageing, though sometimes not. Further additives can help smooth or mask (some of) the flavour you're having issues with.

Or of course, if it's just a stuck ferment, then ideally that needs sorting out as it's entirely possible that the yeast can restart fermentation and unless you've sterile filtered to guarantee that all the yeast cells are removed, you have a recipe for potential bottle bombs.......
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

I have a batch of mead that finished fermentation about 2 months ago starting at 28 brix down to 11.5. The problem is it is very hot and alcoholic tasting still.
    Can you provide the complete recipe details?
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

7. Default

There's a local contest of sorts in a couple of weeks, going to blend this batch with another older one that was super sweet. This batch could use more fermentation but for now the yeast hulls are added, will rack with a .1 filter if needed and blend a couple days before to make a few bottles for the contest.

Recipe:

- Enough orange blossom honey and spring water to make 18 gallons of 28 brix at 70F in 26 gal stainless variable top fermenter.

- Pectic enzyme added 1 hour before yeast pitch.

- LalvinDV10 with go-ferm, 105F, waited 20 minutes for rehydration and pitched.

- Stir and oxygenate every day for 8 days.

- Fermiad K 13.5g added incrementally per SNA (no extra DAP).

- After 18 days brix stopped at 11 and fermentation ceased.

Hey Benjamin, you only need to worry about adding pectinase if you're using fruit in your must, honey doesn't have an appreciable amount of pectin iteself.

And be careful about this one, the yeast hulls could cause it to kick up again and please make sure whatever you put in a bottle for this contest has been stabilized or run through a filter that renders it sterile, otherwise you run the risk of bottle bombs if the older batch still has viable yeast that decide they're interested in all the sugars from the sweet batch...
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

9. Default

Re-fermentation would actually be helpful in this batch but i've got plenty potassium sorbate to throw into the contest bottles just in case =)

Don't forget the potassium metabisulphite, the sorbate only keeps 'em from replicating!