Thread: Looking for solution to bring down oak levels

Default Looking for solution to bring down oak levels

I brewed a blackberry melomel and put some oak chips (about 10g) in once it reached full strength, cleared and had been stabilized, leaving it in there twice as long as I originally planned to. The trouble is the oak is too much 'up front' and not in the background where it belongs.

I've oaked another wine and found that 3 days with around 10g french toast oak chips per gallon turns out fairly balanced - i.e. how I like it.

I do have enough honey and frozen blackberries to brew another gallon (which would not be oaked) to blend at some future date but wondered if the oakiness would lessen over time anyway, and by how much if so?
    DRINK!

Default Dilution is the solution

I wouldn't hold my breath while the oak goes away. I don't think it will any time soon. Blending is probably your best option.
    Mac An Breatannuich

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymu View Post
    I brewed a blackberry melomel and put some oak chips (about 10g) in once it reached full strength, cleared and had been stabilized, leaving it in there twice as long as I originally planned to. The trouble is the oak is too much 'up front' and not in the background where it belongs.

I've oaked another wine and found that 3 days with around 10g french toast oak chips per gallon turns out fairly balanced - i.e. how I like it.

I do have enough honey and frozen blackberries to brew another gallon (which would not be oaked) to blend at some future date but wondered if the oakiness would lessen over time anyway, and by how much if so?
    Can I ask how long "twice as long as I originally planned to" is? I ask because I just added about 7g (guessing) of oak to a gallon of lower-ABV mead, and don't taste/smell anything yet. Are you saying that you had intended 3 days but went to 6? I've heard a lot of differing opinions about both quantity and duration, and I suspect that a lot of that has to do not only with duration, but with the ABV and the other flavors as well.

Thanks,

Joe
    Intelligence Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit
    Wisdom Is Knowing Not To Put It In A Fruit Salad

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

How large is your batch?

Oak will mellow a lot with a year or two of aging. If you give it some time, you may not need to do anything else.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    How large is your batch?

Oak will mellow a lot with a year or two of aging. If you give it some time, you may not need to do anything else.

It is a 1 gallon batch that I added oak chips to for 7 days instead of the 3 days I originally planned.

It tasted of nowt so I left it longer, but then after racking I can taste more oak than I'd have preferred.

Do you think if I left it a year or two it would mellow so much as to be not so obtrusive?
    DRINK!

Doesn't fining with egg white help reduce tannins and oak influence ? Or am I remembering incorrectly ?
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Egg white fining will reduce tannins and help with excessive astringency and bitterness, but won't cure an over-oaked mead. Age will definitely reduce the oak aroma/flavor impact. If time alone is not enough, you can blend it.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Ageing it is methinks. I'd rather use the blackberries for summat else - blackberry & elderberry wine for example, and the local honey is so delicious i'd rather brew a traditional with it.

Thanks all.
    DRINK!