Thread: Help with my Cherry Mead...

Default Help with my Cherry Mead...

Im sitting in my deer blind so I dont have the full recipe but I think I have enough info...

I used the Mead calculator and came up with 8 lbs of honey, 3 gallons of cherry juice and the SG was 1.170 I thought but I might have read it wrong. Oh and a 5 gallon batch...

Added nutriends and acid blend too. At 8 days the fermentation almost stopped. Took a reading and the SG was 1.010.

So im thinking im going to have to rack it onto about 4 lbs of honey to get it to a medium sweet mead. If this is right will I have to pitch more yeast? I think I used Lavin D-47 but will have to double check my brew log later when I get done deer hunting...

Thanks for the help!

Ok heres the whole recipe...I had a glitch in my account here and asked for help on another site earlier and got the recipe from there...

Cherry/Vanilla/Cinnamon
    8 lbs of honey
    24 oz Of Dark Sweet Cherries
    138 oz of 100% Cherry Juice
    4 Sticks Cinnamon
    Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
    2 Teaspoons Yeast Nutrient
    2 teaspoons Yeast Energizer
    1 teaspoon Petic Enzyme
    1 Teaspoon Grape Tannin
    2 Teaspoons Acid Blend
    Lavin D-47 Yeast
    Target SG: 1.076
    10.24% ABV
    Starting SG: 1.170
    Last edited by DonMcJr; 11-07-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    Gallons Fermenting: 10
    Gallons Bottled: 2

My Social Networking

Follow Marshmallow Blue On Twitter

1.170 sounds exorbitantly high. Did you mean 1.107. I'm fairly confidant that D-47 can't hit 21% (1.170-1.010) but 12% seems more right.

You will not have to pitch more yeast, but 1.010 sounds about right for a medium to me. I'd stabilize and stet the honey unless the taste says you need a little more.

If after stabilizing you feel you want more sweetness, add the honey gradually to taste so you can stop where you want.
    Gallons O' Boos made since 2012: 69
    "It may take longer to be patient" ~Chevette Girl
    My Home Brewing Blog