Thread: Stratification

Default Stratification

I have a rose mead that has 70% cleared, with 3.5 gallons of perfectly clear mead above a completely opaque 1.5 gallons on the bottom. The dividing line is quite distinct and has not moved in about a month, so I am skeptical that it will clear completely.

Have any of you experienced something like this? Did it eventually clear? Rather than mix it back up and treat it with a fining agent I'm thinking I might bottle three gallons of clear mead off the top and move the opaque stuff into 1-gallon carboys with some bentonite/sparkolloid. My rationale being that I don't want to strip delicate rose flavor from the whole batch with a fining agent, and the clear portion is absolutely delicious as-is.

My Social Networking

Follow Marshmallow Blue On Twitter

Have you tried cold crashing? That might be enough to knock the rest down.
    Gallons O' Boos made since 2012: 69
    "It may take longer to be patient" ~Chevette Girl
    My Home Brewing Blog

That's a good idea. Once the oak is done extracting in another few weeks, I might try putting it in an ice bath in the garage for a week or so.

Sounds like you have a different density, so your oak is not going to migrate well from one layer to the top, might be a better idea to just give it a stir, then if it wont clear all the way something gentle like sparkaloid. How do you make a rose mead? I have tasted a Polish version called the Monk from Orchid cellars in Maryland, I was so surprised at how good a rose mead could be, I got a bottle for my wife but made her share. WVMJ

Yeah, oddly enough, if it's not clearing, stirring won't make it worse and may well make it better...
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by WVMJack View Post
    Sounds like you have a different density, so your oak is not going to migrate well from one layer to the top, might be a better idea to just give it a stir, then if it wont clear all the way something gentle like sparkaloid. How do you make a rose mead? I have tasted a Polish version called the Monk from Orchid cellars in Maryland, I was so surprised at how good a rose mead could be, I got a bottle for my wife but made her share. WVMJ
    This one was a traditional racked onto 1.7 lbs of rose petals for two weeks after primary fermentation. Quite a few different varieties of roses as I picked them at my friend's farm back in June then froze them in ziploc bags until I was ready to use them. The rose flavor is evolving quickly. When I first racked off the petals it was so subtle that some folks couldn't taste it. A month ago is was clearly noticeable. Now if it gets any stronger I will have rose water...