Thread: Cyser too acidic

Default Cyser too acidic

About 4 months ago I started off my first cyser. I pulpled an unknowned quality of cooking apples that fell over the fence from the neighbour, then topped up to 1 gal with store bought juice and a lb of honey, pitched some white wine yeast and after a week or so strained in to a demijohn. Bit rough and ready, but there you go.

I'm aware cookers are too acidic, and you need to use them only up to about a 1/3rd of the total apple content, but I guess my guestimate wasn't good enough and I added too many...

Two months ago I tasted - it was like battery acid. It was bone dry, so I stabilized with sorbate/campden and added some honey to 1.020. Still battery acid. I tasted after racking a couple of days ago, and tbh it's coming along great, and has really nice flavour coming along too it. Still too acidic, although it seems to be slightly reduced.

My question - what are my options on this? Blend I guess is one. I have a traditional that's stuck at 1.020 that might be a candiate. Or will just a bit more age tone down the acid? I have some bicarb, and some 'acid neutriliser' from the local brew shop. I'm concerned about this adding a chalky taste to it tho. Or should I just throw in some more honey?

Glad to hear that the taste is great, if just to acidic. Blending and sweetening are certainly options as you mentioned, but I think that letting this one age for 4-5 more months is probably your best course of action. The acids will soften somewhat over time, and you should be better able to evaluate if additional honey is required to balance the mead.
    "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate." - Captain Zapp Brannigan

Or if you haven't stabilised it you could see if you can get some MLF bacteria and do malolactic fermentation.

That'd smooth the acidity some......
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

Quote Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
    Or if you haven't stabilised it you could see if you can get some MLF bacteria and do malolactic fermentation.

That'd smooth the acidity some......
    Ah yes. I only read about this after I'd stabilised. I'm gradually learning not to be too hasty with the additions and adjustments...

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Sun View Post
    Glad to hear that the taste is great, if just to acidic. Blending and sweetening are certainly options as you mentioned, but I think that letting this one age for 4-5 more months is probably your best course of action. The acids will soften somewhat over time, and you should be better able to evaluate if additional honey is required to balance the mead.
    Okay, sit on it several months and see where we are. Less work the better, suits me! Cheers all for the input.