• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The Netherlands/Dutch Connection

Barrel Char Wood Products

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Plant fruit in the spring

Okay, so now I am thinking about planting more fruit in the spring. I did some blueberries, raspberries and blackberries last fall, and have a gooseberry and some currants here.... now am thinking about a mulberry or moerbei bush or tree this spring.

You folks have any ideas or suggestions??

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Where does everyone get their honey from?
Well I can't say about native Dutch suppliers Tom, but loetz is in Austria and he mentioned Walter Lang, in Bremen. Which might be a bit of a drive, but it's a lot closer to you than me.

I've mailed them so far, as their website only offers sales to German addresses, but I'd have thought you could get some shipped cheaper than me, though that's what I'm hoping to do.

Gonna try their Buckwheat first if I can arrange it......

Tom Sluiters

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 8, 2014
Barendrecht, The Netherlands
Okay, so now I am thinking about planting more fruit in the spring. I did some blueberries, raspberries and blackberries last fall, and have a gooseberry and some currants here.... now am thinking about a mulberry or moerbei bush or tree this spring.

You folks have any ideas or suggestions??

Strawberry's and blackberry's seem to to alright. strawberry's don't take up a lot of space, a good thing is this small country :D.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Just bought a 13 year old Elstar apple tree (with a trunk about 5 cm in diameter) that had been dug up from an orchard. The guy at the farm didn't say so, but in reading about it, it seems I need another variety or a crabapple to pollinate it. Can anyone confirm this?

The farm...
http://www.fruitbedrijfhoekstra.nl/

I may just wait to see if this thing survives. It is about 2 meters tall, but had a root ball smaller than a soccer ball. The guy said he guaranteed it would grow,,,,and it only cost 10 euros, but I am skeptical. They also sell cider in vacuum packs with no sorbates or preservatives, so might make a good base for something.... SO many ideas, so little honey....and honey money

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns