• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The Netherlands/Dutch Connection

Barrel Char Wood Products

Griebel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2015
Leiden, the Netherlands
Thank you, sir. Sorry for the delayed answer, I am still trying to get the hang of the website.
For the moment I just lurk. Still thinking about if and when I'll start brewing. I'm still on the fence because it is quite the investment, even via brouwland.nl.
I haven't yet tried the fairly cheap German meads of meadandmore so I don't know if they are a good alternative. The easily obtainable "meads" of Ambrosia and Bunratty don't do the trick , the Delftse Mederij is rather expensive.
All in all DIY would be probably cheaper in the end and produce meads to my liking so I'll eventually decide to make the leap in a year or so (fingers crossed). Until then I'll lurk and learn.

Cordially yours,
Herwin van den Engel
Leiden

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Ambrosia is wine flavored with honey and is not really mead. Delft is the only commercial meadery in Netherlands. Let us know if you're going to buy supplies....Brouwmarkt isn't always the best deal

Griebel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2015
Leiden, the Netherlands
I already knew about Ambrosia. That's why I used the "". Sadly it's the most well known and sold in most of the health stores. I guess Europe really needs guidelines on what is mead and what is not. Time for an EMMA as a sister institution to the AMMA.
As to alternative stores I'm only aware of brouwmarkt.com and perhaps small drugstores / apothekers. When I go shopping I'd like to go all out with the list from Steve Piatz's book.

Griebel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2015
Leiden, the Netherlands
Thank you, sir.

Apparently some ingredients are sold only in large quantities?
I have been poking around on Marktplaats but only sought for the whole brewing package. Thank you for the pointer and the offer.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Thank you, sir.

Apparently some ingredients are sold only in large quantities?
I have been poking around on Marktplaats but only sought for the whole brewing package. Thank you for the pointer and the offer.

What about trying to make jaom? It doesn't require any special ingredients or equipment other than the jug the water comes in.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Griebel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2015
Leiden, the Netherlands
Hello Mannye,

The JAOM was the first recipe I had in mind to make. But I see two problems:

I live in the Netherlands. The tap water here is on par with mineral water. Mineral water is sold in plastic bottles up to 1,5 litres. I have no knowledge of any product that comes in a gallon-size bottle. Only thing that comes close in the Netherlands are 2 litre plastic bottles used for fruit juice. Hmmmm, perhaps I can get my hands on glass 2 litre bottles used for Westons Cider. That would mean dividing the yeast in equal parts and inserting the orange one slice (don't know the right word) at a time since the mouth is only 1,5 centimeters wide.

Another problem is that we don't have Fleischmann's Yeast. The "alternative JAOM" threads only mention other fruits, no alternative for the yeast. My first proper post would have been about this. Can you use just any bread yeast? If not, I would have to get a credit card and order in via the British Amazon.

For my first time brewing I would like to follow the instructions to the letter.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
The instructions expressly state to do exactly as they say. It's better, cheaper and foolproof if you follow the directions exactly. The only specialized equipment you need is an airlock. But if you don't have an airlock snap a balloon on the mouth of the jug and poke a few holes in it with a pin. Done.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Tom Sluiters

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 8, 2014
Barendrecht, The Netherlands
Griebel, I live in the Netherlands as well.

For a JAOM you can use Dr. Oetker breadyeast (the green paper bags), works like a charm.

As for the fermentation vessel, At brouwmarkt.nl they sell (almost) anything you need. You can get a 5 liter carboy plus an airlock for 10 euros. Instead you can also make a smaller batch in plastic milk jugs (2,5 liter) with an balloon airlock.

http://www.brouwmarkt.nl/gistingsfles-5-liter-recht-model.html
http://www.brouwmarkt.nl/siliconen-stop-26x32-mm-groen-met-gat-voor-waterslot.html
http://www.brouwmarkt.nl/waterslot-classic-slangmodel-prijstopper.html

edblanford

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Personally, I would spring for the glass brewing vessel and adjust the recipe to the vessel size. Any standard bread yeast should be a good substitute for Fleischmann's, if it is not available. I think it is named because it is a standard brand in the USA, not because it is "magic" in any way. Not everyone in the world has access to those things deemed "standard" in the US, so some adjustments will be necessary. The parts about assembling the ingredients and leaving it alone can be done worldwide, so I would stick with those. My experience is that it is really pretty foolproof (and good, if sweet), and I am sure will be, even if adjusted to the availability of things in The Netherlands. Good luck!

Griebel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2015
Leiden, the Netherlands
Thanks for the info, I was mostly concerned about the yeast. Having to order from abroad seems pushing it.
I talked to a neighbour and he told me a small old fashioned drugstore that sells glass vessels and water locks. Slightly more money but it saves a train trip across the country. Huzzah for the Dutch small towns and the bikes.

Griebel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2015
Leiden, the Netherlands
Hello there,

A question for the people living in the Netherlands; where do I buy K2CO3? It is used for creating the BOMM. Potassium is sold in tablets, but I don't think it is quite the same. Is there an alternative?

lampie

NewBee
Registered Member
ah nice to find some dutch mead brewers and dutchies that love a good mead.. Have not been trough the whole thread will do that tonight but just wanted to say hello to the dutchies here :). Will update this post when i have read the whole thread.

BTW i live in leeuwarden.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns