FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: I'm Back! Not that anyone missed me...

1. Default I'm Back! Not that anyone missed me...

It's ok... It's been a while. I just bottled a year old batch of mead, made another a couple weeks ago, racked it already, and I have 60lbs of more honey coming.

Doing a little research on potentially doing a large batch in the future re-ran across this site. I said to myself... I remember that place.

A little dance and a little log-in after a password reset... I'm back!

Of course it says: You last visited: 09-08-2006 at 05:13 PM

So seven and a half years ago... What did I miss? :P

Well, in that mean time I never lost my roots. I've started keeping bees, failed a few times but I keep at it, and I'm back making mead.

Anyhow, it's good to be back.

That's quite the uuhh.. lag time. 7 years..
    It's always great to know more apiarists! Rock on.
    Talk to you in.. 8 years? lol

Welcome back, the place is still covered with sticky must from the last meadsplosion, so watch your step...
    Bees stole my signature file!

What's happened? Uh, well, I somehow made some obscene number of posts, many of which are even about mead... there's a 300+ post religious discussion somewhere in the hive with no flaming... probably a number of forum upgrades and new tools, we've been talking a lot about not boiling honey, doing staggered nutrient additions, DAP/energizer ratios, not adding acid to mead musts, stirplate discussions, and recently a one-month mead (BOMM)... and a whole lot of discussion about Joe's Ancient Orange Mead and variations on that theme. Or at least that's what's up since I joined.

Glad to have you back, can't wait to hear some bee stories!
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Nice synopsis CG.
    Mae'r teithiau golau ceffyl eto

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    What's happened? Uh, well, I somehow made some obscene number of posts, many of which are even about mead... there's a 300+ post religious discussion somewhere in the hive with no flaming... probably a number of forum upgrades and new tools, we've been talking a lot about not boiling honey, doing staggered nutrient additions, DAP/energizer ratios, not adding acid to mead musts, stirplate discussions, and recently a one-month mead (BOMM)... and a whole lot of discussion about Joe's Ancient Orange Mead and variations on that theme. Or at least that's what's up since I joined.
    Now we just need to set that to the tune of "We Didn't Start the Fire".

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post

Glad to have you back, can't wait to hear some bee stories!
    So what you're saying is.... I'm doing it all wrong?

I don't' boil honey, but then again a bochet is slated in my future... Staggered nutrient additions? Already do that. 1/4 tsp each day for the first 5 days. Maybe not staggered enough though.

Not adding acid? Old habits are hard to break and I seem to get better results with a bit of citrus added.

One month mead? This I gotta see.

Emmeloord, Netherlands formerly Chicago area

LOL. Welcome to better mead making at GotMead, where you are still free to do whatever the heck you want.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Don't Panic!

From Portugal to Poland, on a perpetual pursuit for more honey.....

Issues unique to the Netherlands at
    http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...880#post222880

Welcome back.

Where'd you get the fancy air lock?
    Making Mead With TLC since 2010

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlchemist View Post
    Welcome back.

Where'd you get the fancy air lock?
    I love that air lock.. It's glass and worth the money. I bought this exact one here:

http://beer-wine.com/products/glass-fermentation-lock

That store is only about an hour away from me and worth the drive.