• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How to fix a watery flavour?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Déantóir

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 23, 2013
I can't tell you exactly the recipe or process for this one as it was something of a franken-mead that came together alongside a bunch of other things with bits and pieces thrown in along the way. It has the dregs of at least two other meads in it. The main fruit in it is a mix of red and purple berries.

It's been finished and ageing in a cool place for a couple of months. I tasted it the other day and while it was a nice tartness and interesting, almost spicy after taste the initial flavour is very thin and watery.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a way to fix this? I was thinking of leaving it without an airlock to let some of the water evaporate out but I have no idea how oxidation would otherwise effect the flavour.

Thanks for any suggestions.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Now do you mean that it's limited in actual depth of taste like if you took some orange juice and added a load of water ?

Or do you mean that it's lacking "body" or viscosity ? a.k.a. "legs" which is where you swirl a little bit in a glass the rivulets run down the sides of the glass medium to slow or "good legs"....

The former is adding extra fruit into stabilised mead......

The later can be back sweetening, and extra acid if you over sweeten. You can use honey but might need to add findings to clear it as honey can cause a haze. You can also use grape concentrate as well.

If you think the sweetness and flavour depth but it still seems a bit lacking, you can also use small amounts of glycerin but it should be used with care as over doing it will leave a metallic sweet after taste. It's sold to add body like that you just have to be careful......

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
You could also add fruit juice concentrates....frozen ones in American or liquid ones if you are here in Europe. Remember that it will dilute the alcohol, and might affect the pH as well, and be sure to add stabilizer (sulfite and sorbate) to make sure you don't create 'bottle bombs'.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
A little white grape concentrate can give some body, red grape concentrate might have that and some tannins, and you could always try a pinch of acid blend of a few drops of lemon juice to see if dropping the pH a little perks it up. Take a sample, try a bunch of stuff... backsweetening, fruit juices, acid addition, tannin, etc etc... see what works! :) And let us know!

Déantóir

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks for the answers.

It's got legs but it tastes like it's been watered down. I don't have easy access to concentrates or anything else really so I'll try adding fruit. I currently have it in a cool place for ageing. Would you leave it that way or bring it up to room temperature. How long would you leave the fruit in?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Oak? I don't know from experience, but this is what I have read. Seems like a good opportunity to find out!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Is it possible this mead will get better through aging? I mean perhaps it needs more than just a couple of months?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns