• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Labels question...

Barrel Char Wood Products

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Rather than hijack the thread where people are posting images of their labels, I thought I would start this. Do many people put dates or info like batch numbers onto their labels? I usually put yeast pitch date, bottling date, batch number, and mead name. Sometimes I will also include ingredients or other information like what the batch was brewed for if it was for something particular.

Would a mead vintage be the year the yeast was pitched, or the honey extracted, or when the honey was collected in the hive?

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago, Land of Corruption
Legally there is no vintage. I like the idea of honey vintage, but half your fermentables might be from a different year, not to mention blending honey. So start of fermentation is the only date that really matters to me.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I put start date (which is usually within a day or two of pitch date), bottle date, % alcohol, contents (generally fruit + style for meads and wines although for my beers I also include a name), and any special notes (ie, whether it contains sulphites, made from fresh or frozen fruit, made from juice, spices used, etc). And of course the pic of my 'vette that I use for my avatar here, my standard disclaimer about including chevette parts, and winery name (Chateau Chevette).

And I think you've just highlit the problem with trying to apply a vintage to mead... if I were professional, I would probably want to include the year the honey was produced by the bees and the year the fruit was harvested.

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
I think the year the mead was produced should suffice for the label. Any finer points as to honey harvest or such could just be added to the mead log.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I am new to mead making but I like a very artsy label so what I will do is create a rear label that will contain a description of the mead like "This mead was made using unfiltered raw I Florida Orange Blossom honey during the summer of 2013" and go on to tell a neat little story about how long it took, what yeast was used etc. That story will close with the abv, and some suggestions on storage, serving temp, etc.

This way my front label remains an art piece (advertising art at least) and the two labels also give the whole package a more finished look.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, if I went pro, I'd have to totally redesign my labels, what I use are pretty utilitarian...

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
I am new to mead making but I like a very artsy label so what I will do is create a rear label that will contain a description of the mead like "This mead was made using unfiltered raw I Florida Orange Blossom honey during the summer of 2013" and go on to tell a neat little story about how long it took, what yeast was used etc. That story will close with the abv, and some suggestions on storage, serving temp, etc.

This way my front label remains an art piece (advertising art at least) and the two labels also give the whole package a more finished look.

Can you post an image of one of your back labels on that other thread? I have often considered doing that, but haven't yet. I use Avery shipping labels for my front label.... not sure what I would use for a back label.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
I haven't yet, but my label is meant to have a square, or a scroll in gold beneath it, denoting the variety of honey, and fruit as well as the fermentation year.

On the back I considered a standard 40-60mmx100mm Avery label with a short blurb, some important facts, ABV, FG, where the honey was sourced, etc.

However I need to be much more organised for that.
For now I just use a silver paint pen for that info.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
I generally put month and year i bottled it, the ABV, and some kind of name for that batch with a picture or graphic on it...

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Haha! Love the sig line!

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
I go really basic for my personal cellar: a name and date bottled, usually on a return address label that I can cheaply produce and slap on (I use beer bottles for a lot of bottling). I use the name and date to refer back to the brewlog, and I use the bottling date to judge when to start drinking the mead. Few but me will see it actually in the bottle, so I just need to know which bottle is which.

Gift bottles get a nicer treatment, adding the ABV and a logo from my homestead name.

Vandall

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 13, 2012
Clinton Township Michigan
I only include the name and the year that it was bottled, along with my logo. Any other info I keep in my BrewLog. Right or wrong, I always considered the date when I bottled it to be the "Vintage".

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
This is just me: I am not in the business of making wines or meads to sell. I make my meads to make them better each time. IMO a focus on labels is wonderful for those who want to take the focus away from the content of the bottle and onto the bottle itself. I make simple labels that allow me to identify the contents and provide me with a quick reference to the log I keep and the date the contents were bottled and the ABV. I also want to know quickly if the contents are sparkling or flat and how dry. However, the bottles I give as gifts will have more decorative and less instrumental labels attached.

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
My labels are the batch number, the type of honey, the added flavourings, the date that I started it, the date I bottled, and ABV. Some times I will add the OG/FG, if I can use those numbers reliably.

My "vintages" are based on when the fruit was picked, like wines. I could do honey, since I use local honey and know when it was harvested usually. My last 1 gallon batch of JOA I did was done with honey that was bottled "harvested and bottled last Tuesday" when I bought it.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
So....your labels are like mini mead logs. Can you post one for us?

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I almost have the Reaper back label finished. Maybe tonight.

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
Here are a couple of mine:

The first one (the png) is from the first mead I made, but it's probably the 8th or so that I have bottled. And my current format.

The second one (the pdf) is from the first one I've bottled and I no longer do it this way.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns