• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

My first official JAO Mead...

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Is it glass? Either way don't sweat it. Just get a tube and siphon off the old fashioned way. Sorry to hear it though.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
Yeah I'm definitely going to proceed with using it. Obviously I have to be very concerned about glass fragments, although it looks to be in totally one piece and not splintered -- that could change once I put pressure on it though. After racking at least 2 of the containers (the third was spaced five days later) I'll probably just throw it away. I haven't decided if I want to order a new one because with the shipping charge I don't think it's worth the cost.

Mannye, that's what I was thinking, just go about it the old way. I ordered plenty of tubing so I can always resort to simple siphoning. I'm just annoyed that I haven't even used it yet! I must have touched it with something like the PBW container or some other item because it's just been sitting there for two months in a spare bathroom.

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
Sampled again today. I also took a hydrometer reading for the first batch. According to my calculations I have an OG of 1.141 or 1.140, and my FG (well at least to this point) is 1.040. I'm pretty sure that the first batch is nearly complete (all of the fruit has dropped minus a few raisins). What is the best equation to use? I found some different eqs. and my ABV ranged from approximately 10 to 14%. My high estimate was actually 15%, and I know that roughly this mead and yeast produce about 14% or so at most, so I figure ballpark estimate, things look about right.

I gotta say, I do enjoy the brew. I still think it's too clovey (oh and I bought the powdered clove on accident [even after having the whole ones in my hand!]), and I pushed my stopper in the first batch and had all kinds of hell and possible contamination issues from fishing it out, but it tastes really darn well, especially with not even having racked it yet. I will probably drink half of it, bottle and store the rest, and then start sampling the second batch. I may let it sit longer as I mentioned that I'm going to be out of town for two weeks. The second batch hasn't dropped all of its oranges yet, but about 35-50% of them have dropped. That'll put it at about 10 weeks when I finally get around to first time racking the second batch, and 9 weeks for the third batch.

...I think I'm going to sneak some more right now ;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns