• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

My first official JAO Mead...

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
My jaoms have been left on lees until all the fruit as settled - sometimes this took over 2 months.

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

Same here. Don't sweat it. My first JAOM sat on the lees for 8 weeks. I have had BOMMs on the lees for almost the same with no ill effect.

Like the guy that first taught me to brew beer 24 years ago said... Relax and have a homebrew.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

muerte69

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2013
North of Durham, NC
I waited till all the fruit dropped and then racked off to another jug with a panty hose filter on the end of my siphon. That worked well to keep the big stuff out and then racked to jars for storage. What was left in the jugs I filtered thru a coffee filter. Took forever but it's all clear and the last filtered stuff is my drink first jar...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
Once I rack into a secondary carboy or jug, will a generic twist-off cap be sufficient for keeping oxygen out? This is assuming that I have waited as long as possible for all fermentation to be complete before racking.

I was searching online for some 1 gallon jugs and containers and I've found some regular 1 gallon jars for cheap, and they only have generic twist-tops.

I also noticed mannye has some simple screw caps on his batches right before he filtered. I just noticed that the jars are not listed as airtight -- nice that the vendor stated this.

Last edited:

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
Went ahead and ordered three additional 1 gallon jugs, only about 6 bucks each so I'm happy. I want a five gallon eventually but since I bought a mini-auto siphon and these are my first batches, I think I'll stick with 3 one-gallon batches for now. I imagine that once I rack, I can sanitize the airlocks and stoppers and use those to seal the brews, and I have plugs that can fit in the stoppers as well if I don't think the brews need to decompress.

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
Been out of town for six days and just got back. One of my one gallon's oranges have almost all dropped! The other two are about the same as when I left, but I have a feeling they will be dropping soon too. I have about a week and a half until my two months are up. At that time, I'll use my hydrometer and compare my gravities with my OG. Pretty excited! Got my new jugs in too so I'll probably sanitize them soon.

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
One of the best feelings you can have is checking on your jaom and seeing fruit has dropped :)

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
Yeah I know haha. I was bugging my wife while I was gone, "Go check on my mead!", like it had done something interesting. This time it had!

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
Had my first sample tonight. I'm moderately tipsy(before the sample), and the mead is very spicy (I mentioned that I used too much clove on the first batch), but I must say, I'm very happy with it! I will probably drink most of this "spicy" brew and store more of the other two gallons. For a first brew, not bad methinks!

Last edited:

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Had my first sample tonight. I'm moderately tipsy(before the sample), and the mead is very spicy (I mentioned that I used too much clove on the first batch), but I must say, I'm very happy with it! I will probably drink most of this "spicy" brew and store more of the other two gallons. For a first brew, not bad methinks!

That's the mission of JAOM... now we HAVE you... bwah...ha...hahahahhaa. Now go make a BOMM, follow with a more conventional type, join as a patron AND then feel the power of this FULLY OPERATIONAL DEATH STAR!

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
That's the mission of JAOM... now we HAVE you... bwah...ha...hahahahhaa. Now go make a BOMM, follow with a more conventional type, join as a patron AND then feel the power of this FULLY OPERATIONAL DEATH STAR!

Side note here... Is becoming a patron worth it?

Riverat

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Side note here... Is becoming a patron worth it?

IMHO it is well worth it for access to the patrons logs alone but I have come to feel that more importantly becoming a patron is an act of showing appreciation and support to the folks that spend their time, effort and yes, money, to create and maintain this site as a resource (and a nice place for a pretty nice group to hang out) for beginners as well as the more experienced.

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
I'm probably going to rack in 3 days. I was saddened today to find that my mini auto siphon is already cracked, and I haven't even used it! I don't know how it could have happened, I'm guessing that somehow something hit the tube. It's been in no heat.

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
That sucks big time. I wonder if you could use some tape to seal it up?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns