Thread: Staying on The Isle of Wight

Default Staying on The Isle of Wight

Hello I am on the Isle of Wight (for 4 more weeks for work) and looking for a Meadery close by to visit on one of my weekends that I am free. Also looking to buy some local meads but am having a hard time find anybody who even knows what mead is. Does anybody have any suggestions on both inquiries thank you.

Thank you
    John E.

Emmeloord, Netherlands formerly Chicago area

Sounds like a question for Fatbloke. Google didn't turn up anything?

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.
    Don't Panic!

From Portugal to Poland, on a perpetual pursuit for more honey.....

Issues unique to the Netherlands at
    http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...880#post222880

Dunno about the Island, all the ones I can think of are either just vineyards that make a little mead as well or just vineyards (and they're all mainland).

In fact the only proper mead only place I recall is Lindisfarne. And thats what ? about 400 miles north......

Closest would be likely Lyme Bay and Lurgashall (both vineyards that do mead too). Just vineyards theres at least one up the road from me that are noted/reputed and do tours.... Bookers Vineyards/Bolney Wine estate.......

Have a look for info about Buckfast Abbey. A few hours drive west (after the ferry trip), but it was Brother Adams alma marta and known globally for his apiculture etc. Dunno if they still make meads for sale (they do make a good "tonic" wine). That might be worth a visit......
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

Thanks for words. I will check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
    Have a look for info about Buckfast Abbey. A few hours drive west (after the ferry trip), but it was Brother Adams alma marta and known globally for his apiculture etc. Dunno if they still make meads for sale (they do make a good "tonic" wine). That might be worth a visit......
    Interestingly (well...sorta) there is a town here in Northern Ireland where it is known as Lurgan champagne..

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/su...-29972797.html

Apparently 1/4 off all the booze sold in off-licences is Buckfast tonic wine....

I'm hoping to stay down in Devon this summer for a short break so I will hopefully make a visit too. - if it resurfaces...

Quote Originally Posted by MourneMead View Post
    Interestingly (well...sorta) there is a town here in Northern Ireland where it is known as Lurgan champagne..

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/su...-29972797.html

Apparently 1/4 off all the booze sold in off-licences is Buckfast tonic wine....

I'm hoping to stay down in Devon this summer for a short break so I will hopefully make a visit too. - if it resurfaces...
    Glasgow too.......
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

Wow...that would be cool.....maybe thats what you should send back to mannye, Fatbloke.....some "Commotion Lotion"....from Brother Adam. LOL

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.
    Don't Panic!

In fact the only proper mead only place I recall is Lindisfarne. And thats what ? about 400 miles north......
    Lindisfarne? I suddenly feel the need to jump in a longboat and raid a monastery for their gold, silver and mead, hahahahahahaha. Speaking of which Vikings season two is about to get going again, can't wait. Oh the humour of showing up at the meadery in Lindisfarne in full Norse getup to "raid" their supplies would be a heck of a good time.
    Duct Tape Is Like The Force, It Has A Light Side, A Dark Side, And It Holds The World Together

Quote Originally Posted by GntlKnigt1 View Post
    Wow...that would be cool.....maybe thats what you should send back to mannye, Fatbloke.....some "Commotion Lotion"....from Brother Adam. LOL

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.
    Commotion Lotion! Love that! If I ever go pro I'm calling one of the meads that. After watching the bio documentary on Brother Adam anything inspired by the Abbey would be wonderful.

I'm searching the intertubes for one of his recipes.

I have a link....well send it to you in email....

Ahh... here it is. I sent this message originally from cell, but editing on laptop...)

http://www.pedigreeapis.org/biblio/a...Amead53en.html

Don't Panic!

Awesome! Got it! I've got one 5 gallon carboy free but that's about to be busy making OB BOMM traditional and one 1 gallon carboy that's just not enough. Time to buy another 5 gallon fermenter for a batch of Brother Adam's best!