• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Oopsy..?

Barrel Char Wood Products

McBrewster

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 15, 2014
Louisiana
I just recently started brewing my own mead at home. This year, my father made a batch and it was relatively good, so I decided to try my hand at it. I only wanted to do a 1 gallon batch, and i had heard you wanted about 3 pounds of honey per gallon. Easy enough. I also heard that you could simply use Fleischman's yeast, so I bought a few packets from my local Walmart. Okay. Made my must. Added the yeast, and then I thought "Ah, why not add something to give it some flavor..?" So I read up and found Joe's recipe for using oranges and raisins. I regretfully didn't have any oranges, but I did have raisins and thought what the heck..? So i added 25 per the instructions. It was only at this time that I noticed the recipe said to only use a teaspoon of yeast. I added a whole 7 gram pack. Plus the raisins. How screwed am I...? I also noticed the recipe said about 2 and something pounds of honey and not 3, so i thought "Ahh....maybe the extra yeast will eat the extra honey or something?" Help. I don't want it to explode during fermentation. I have it in a closet in the dark, and i reaally wouldn't want to ruin the carpet in there.

MJ7

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2014
I just recently started brewing my own mead at home. This year, my father made a batch and it was relatively good, so I decided to try my hand at it. I only wanted to do a 1 gallon batch, and i had heard you wanted about 3 pounds of honey per gallon. Easy enough. I also heard that you could simply use Fleischman's yeast, so I bought a few packets from my local Walmart. Okay. Made my must. Added the yeast, and then I thought "Ah, why not add something to give it some flavor..?" So I read up and found Joe's recipe for using oranges and raisins. I regretfully didn't have any oranges, but I did have raisins and thought what the heck..? So i added 25 per the instructions. It was only at this time that I noticed the recipe said to only use a teaspoon of yeast. I added a whole 7 gram pack. Plus the raisins. How screwed am I...? I also noticed the recipe said about 2 and something pounds of honey and not 3, so i thought "Ahh....maybe the extra yeast will eat the extra honey or something?" Help. I don't want it to explode during fermentation. I have it in a closet in the dark, and i reaally wouldn't want to ruin the carpet in there.

Having more or less yeast will not speed up the fermentation period, however, it could introduce unwanted off flavors, if the yeast begin to feed on each other. You have to think of it as a population, a growing population, and yeast eat, shit, sleep, and die in the same space. Eventually they can start to feed on the dead yeast (lees) and I'm not convinced this will only occur if there is no more sugar left and they haven't reach their ALC% rating.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
With wine yeast, what's typically recommend is one 5-8g packet for 1-5 gallons, so a bit more or less won't have much of an appreciable effect.

Dumping a few cups of bread yeast in may well affect things, maybe I'll try it someday if I ever have honey and free carboys again.

And regarding explosions, you're usually fine until one of two things happens - you somehow trigger a mass carbon dioxide escape and end up with a giant fizzy mess (think shaking up an open carbonated beverage), or something clogs the escape route and the pressure builds up in the vessel until something gives, and you end up with mead on the ceiling (think opening up a shaken carbonated beverage).

Reactions: wayneb

McBrewster

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 15, 2014
Louisiana
I do not have an airlock. I was trying the "balloon with holes and rubberband" idea. It seems absolutely fine. The only thing that is worrying me is the fact that it smells faintly like Play-Doh haha...yeah..I added two Clementines instead of a large orange btw. I prefer them to oranges, and was wondering if it might have an even slightly sweeter flavor than the original recipe. Oh well. Have a few more weeks left. Will update. Thanks for all the replies!

muerte69

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2013
North of Durham, NC
The JAO recipe calls for 3 and a hakf pounds of honey so if you did 3 pounds you won't be as sweet. Just racked 2 gallons I made and it is a tasty mead.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns