Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Addiction or Infection???

The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA

Default Addiction or Infection???

Well, I am sitting here and contemplating whether mazing is an addiction or an infection, or a combination thereof.

This is due to the fact that I am now contemplating, planning, scheming, plotting, devising, and implementing all that I can do with the 60 pounds of honey I am soon to acquire the first of the month... I think the Yeastie Beasties have begun inhabiting and fermenting my brain to their own ends, and only incidentally mine as well. Sneaky little wogs...

I look forward to working with them

Opine??
    Mazerotic Encephalopathic Affective Disorder (M.E.A.D.) - Gntlknigt1

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by EJM3 View Post
    Well, I am sitting here and contemplating whether mazing is an addiction or an infection, or a combination thereof.

This is due to the fact that I am now contemplating, planning, scheming, plotting, devising, and implementing all that I can do with the 60 pounds of honey I am soon to acquire the first of the month... I think the Yeastie Beasties have begun inhabiting and fermenting my brain to their own ends, and only incidentally mine as well. Sneaky little wogs...

I look forward to working with them

Opine??
    It is a nice feeling when you can create and enjoy your labor. I had the same feelings when I first started mazing about 20 days ago. After the first batch started ferment, 9 days later I had another 5 gallon must fermenting. You will most likely begin to scale back once you have a stock of mead on hand, say 50-60 bottles just sitting on a wine rack.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
    It is a nice feeling when you can create and enjoy your labor. I had the same feelings when I first started mazing about 20 days ago. After the first batch started ferment, 9 days later I had another 5 gallon must fermenting. You will most likely begin to scale back once you have a stock of mead on hand, say 50-60 bottles just sitting on a wine rack.
    I was thinking of 5 or 6 carboys bubbling, burbling, and gurgling away, while my devious mind plots where I am going to get the bottles and corks from. Then try and sucker my partner into and intensive week of slave labor

I'm past saving as I know pretty much the batches are going to be ever growing. I'm now trying to figure out where the bulk aging freezers are going to go, back up generators in case of hurricanes, 40 gallon fermenters, a brewpub... LOL

So my vote is INFECTION.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
    here's mine : a little under 3L of mead fermenting, will be less when I rack into bottles; 2 lbs of honey was used. Also I'm fermenting it in a big, plastic Ozarka water jug, still not sure how long will it take to completely stop fermenting

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ann2014 View Post
    here's mine : a little under 3L of mead fermenting, will be less when I rack into bottles; 2 lbs of honey was used. Also I'm fermenting it in a big, plastic Ozarka water jug, still not sure how long will it take to completely stop fermenting

Depends on what yeast you have used. Typically wine yeast can take 6-8 weeks, after you rack the primary (2-3 weeks) the secondary will take 3-4 weeks. If you used beer yeast it will take shorter time.

7. Default

I was thinking of 5 or 6 carboys bubbling, burbling, and gurgling away, while my devious mind plots where I am going to get the bottles and corks from. Then try and sucker my partner into and intensive week of slave labor
    Yeah, no kidding. Plenty of places will give out free bottles, even give you the boxes. The hard part is the labor involved in scraping off the old labels. My technique is pretty fast though. Take boiling water and a funnel, fill the inside of the bottle up with boiling water let it sit for a minute or two then use an ice scrape to peel it off. You'll be left with glue though, so now you have to use a green scrubby and soap or that googone crap. I might take the easy route and just buy some used wine bottles at my wine/beer store, they sell them for a dollar each, already delabeled.

I fill the bottles with hot water and then immerse the bottles in a sink full of hot water and let them soak for a while and all but the toughest glues will let the label go.
    Duct Tape Is Like The Force, It Has A Light Side, A Dark Side, And It Holds The World Together

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyhog View Post
    I fill the bottles with hot water and then immerse the bottles in a sink full of hot water and let them soak for a while and all but the toughest glues will let the label go.
    Pretty much same here only I soak 'em in a bucket of hot soapy water in the laundry tub, bottle brush the insides while waiting for the labels to soften. I end up scraping the labels off with a spoon and then if there's residual glue, hit it with goo-gone... with the bucket, I can do several changes of bottles in the same water, as long as it's not stone cold it still works pretty well. And then when I forget about that last batch, I can take it out of the sink if it's in the way....
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

I soak old bottles in the hottest, slightly soapy, water I can for about 10 minutes - some lables just float off, others I have to scrape at with a knife.

I put them in a bucket with water and forget abut them for a day or two...labels usually come right off. Goo Gone takes care of any stubborn glue. Wine bottles have proven much much easier so far.

Emmeloord, Netherlands formerly Chicago area

For labels that won't come off in water, I put a paper towel around bottle and spill a bit of turpentine on it and let it sot for 10 minutes, then peel it off and use same towel to rub off the rest of the adhesive. I scrub the outside with copper kitchen scrubbing puffs, and the inside with dish soap and bottle brush and rinse three times. When ready to bottle, I rinse with sanitizer/potassium metabisulfite solution but do not rinse...leaving a small quantity of drops clinging to inside.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.
    Don't Panic!

From Portugal to Poland, on a perpetual pursuit for more honey.....

Issues unique to the Netherlands at
    http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...880#post222880

Quote Originally Posted by GntlKnigt1 View Post
    For labels that won't come off in water, I put a paper towel around bottle and spill a bit of turpentine on it and let it sot for 10 minutes, then peel it off and use same towel to rub off the rest of the adhesive. I scrub the outside with copper kitchen scrubbing puffs, and the inside with dish soap and bottle brush and rinse three times. When ready to bottle, I rinse with sanitizer/potassium metabisulfite solution but do not rinse...leaving a small quantity of drops clinging to inside.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.
    I always worry about dish soap hanging around even after multiple rinses. Not to say I don't use it! Don't get me wrong, but I got one of those inverted bottle washing tubes that screw on the faucet to get a power rinse in there.

I haven't had any issues yet.... or any residual taste(s) of soap or sulfite.
    Don't Panic!

Quote Originally Posted by GntlKnigt1 View Post
    I haven't had any issues yet.... or any residual taste(s) of soap or sulfite.
    Yeah...that's the vestige of "beer" I still have in my system. Haven't made a batch of beer since I joined Gotmead... you bastards!

Well, glad you joined the elite group😁

Don't Panic!

Quote Originally Posted by mannye View Post
    Yeah...that's the vestige of "beer" I still have in my system. Haven't made a batch of beer since I joined Gotmead... you bastards!

You killed Kenny!!!

Default Bottle acquisitions

Well I have about 20 I have saved from my recycle bin so far. And I will just have to get ready to go to a few businesses here in the Boozevarian Village. After all a downtown area of maybe 10 blocks that has 17 wine tasting rooms, and ump-teen beer gardens and full service establishments, has got to have a couple of loose bottles to snag here and there for the adventurous dumpster diver...

As for cleaning labels off, I either soak them off in hot water, failing that I then use "chemical" means (I have an arsenal of inorganic chemicals not on the open market to do so with if needed, but simple isopropanol works great 95% of the time), then resort to scraping and scrubbing as a last of resort due to my nerve damage.

So I guess a walk of the dog twice a day, with my empty pouch, could score me 12 bottles a day, everyday, ad infinitum...

19. Default

Well I have about 20 I have saved from my recycle bin so far. And I will just have to get ready to go to a few businesses here in the Boozevarian Village. After all a downtown area of maybe 10 blocks that has 17 wine tasting rooms, and ump-teen beer gardens and full service establishments, has got to have a couple of loose bottles to snag here and there for the adventurous dumpster diver...

As for cleaning labels off, I either soak them off in hot water, failing that I then use "chemical" means (I have an arsenal of inorganic chemicals not on the open market to do so with if needed, but simple isopropanol works great 95% of the time), then resort to scraping and scrubbing as a last of resort due to my nerve damage.

So I guess a walk of the dog twice a day, with my empty pouch, could score me 12 bottles a day, everyday, ad infinitum...
    Getting labels off is an all day labor event. Just get your wife or SO involved as free slave labor, if you have kids the better...

Bars around here were always happy to let me take as many as I wanted. Just ask during the day when it's nice and slow and I bet the first place will yield way more than you can carry. The cigarette butts are free!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast