• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

No ferment x 4!

Barrel Char Wood Products

MJ7

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2014
While I have you all here, it's opinion time. Should I wait a bit to see if the others start up on their own or just go ahead and repitch?

Pitch, I've had some wines that required 6 pitches before launch.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
While I have you all here, it's opinion time. Should I wait a bit to see if the others start up on their own or just go ahead and repitch?

Yes, and go to amazon and get the El Cheapo pH meter... Do a search for El Cheapo

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
One of my favorite movies. Once I had to make a sales presentation for a new Spanish language TV station in Miami and they said, "Do something that will make us stand out." I tented my fingers like Mr. Burns and said "Excellent." And did http://youtu.be/K9Lo0gbzhAs

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
One of my favorite movies. Once I had to make a sales presentation for a new Spanish language TV station in Miami and they said, "Do something that will make us stand out." I tented my fingers like Mr. Burns and said "Excellent." And did http://youtu.be/K9Lo0gbzhAs

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

LOL... very cool !!

Welshie

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 13, 2013
Sidney, Ohio
Repitched the remaining three with some RS Cuvee(Cyzer) and RS Champagne(Cherry and Strawberry/lemon). Fingers crossed! The pineapple keeps chugging along. It has blown its airlock twice now and I find myself shaking it every two hours to avoid a blow out. This thing is active!

Last edited:

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
KMS potasium meta bisulfite
SMS sodium metabisulfite
potasium sorbate

what do you mean by SMS?

So is one of your original pitches working?

WVMJ

No, I purposely got the SMS in pill for and my KMS in powder to avoid confusion.???
I have some cuvee, champagne, and some cote des blanc that I could split up and repitch. How long would you recommend I wait to see if it restarts before repitching? Thanks!

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
Do you have any idea why this is happening? After the second pack of yeast fails there has to be a problem, just keeping on pitching in more yeast in this situation seems to be ignoring some kind of issue that needs to be fixed? WVMJ

Pitch, I've had some wines that required 6 pitches before launch.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Do you have any idea why this is happening? After the second pack of yeast fails there has to be a problem, just keeping on pitching in more yeast in this situation seems to be ignoring some kind of issue that needs to be fixed? WVMJ

I'm just sayin'...the only thing he hasn't been able to check is the pH. When all else has been eliminated... And I can't help but notice how acidic those that are still dead are... :) Betcha if you put a little bicarb (I know you're a newbie so you might not have potassium carbonate handy) just a 1/4 teaspoon of sodium bicarb might get them up and running....

Welshie

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 13, 2013
Sidney, Ohio
1) SMS to me is sodium metabisulfate. This was not added to the musts. Only Potassium metabisulfate.

2) Mannye, I too would have thought that the ph was the problem. Cherries, pineapples, lemons, and strawberries are all acidic and I also believed that this was the cause.

3) I understand where WVMJack was coming from. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

On a lighter note, all 3 one gallon batches are now bubbling beautifully and the fermentation is well under way. I spent last night whipping each one of them up with an electric mixer. It seemed to do the trick. I thank all of you for taking an interest in helping me out with all of your words of wisdom and insight into my problems.

The only remaining problem I now have is my 3 gallon batch of Cyser. It is my only remaining "problem child". I will be patient with it a little longer before I am once again looking for some kind of answers.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I will stand by my suspicion. It was acidic. One little yeastie started working and then 2 and then they overcame the problem.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Any ideas on how to get these little engines that could started in my cyser? That sucker just won't start!:(
More aertion, and maybe some potassium carbonate to buffer any possible excess acidity ?

If you're confident that there's enough nutrient etc for the yeast.

I'm thinking that if you work through what steps you've currently taken, given the ingredients you've used, and any chems involved, then while the issue might not leap out at you from the page, it might give you an idea of things worth checking........

Equally, could it just be an extended lag phase for some reason ?

My worst effort was with a kit wine - poor practice/technique on my part caused it to lag for 28 days before I saw signs of fermentation.

Welshie

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 13, 2013
Sidney, Ohio
I think I will aerate it again today and then I will let it be for a while. It was good yeast,plenty of nutrients,and good sterile technique was used while making it. We'll see.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Again with the double posting.......

Anyway, Pineapple has started! I repeat, pineapple has started! Bubbling away at 1 bubble every 3-5 seconds. I haven't given up on the other 3 and I am diligently working to resurrect them. I feel like Dr. Frankenstein(it's pronounced Frankensteen!). It's alive! Alive!!;D

Thanks again to all you Igors for helping me with my creation.

That's EYE-gore. ;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns