Thread: USA Today Mead Article

Default USA Today Mead Article

A local San Diego meadery is one of those featured in this recent USA Today article: LINK

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by danr View Post
    A local San Diego meadery is one of those featured in this recent USA Today article: LINK
    I wouldn't call it a comeback. Still so many people around me have never even heard of mead. I gave a coworker a bottle and he said "WOW, I can't believe I have my very own bottle of mead", sure you can purchase them at a liquor store, BUT they cost a fortune for a tiny amount. I think the cost is what will continue to hold mead from the masses...and really I'm okay with that.

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

MJ7, I don't think that cost is necessarily the only issue that keeps mead from being more widely accepted. Lack of knowledge on the part of the buying public is far more significant. In fact, except for some very rare super-premium meads, a bottle of mead won't set you back any more $$ than a bottle of wine.
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
    MJ7, I don't think that cost is necessarily the only issue that keeps mead from being more widely accepted. Lack of knowledge on the part of the buying public is far more significant. In fact, except for some very rare super-premium meads, a bottle of mead won't set you back any more $$ than a bottle of wine.
    The average American does not spend money on wine. There was an article published on wine consumption per state, it fit the bill. I know people that like mead, they always tell me they'd consume more, but it's just too expensive. Perhaps there is a problem with how much people drink. I know a vast majority of people around me drink a good portion, and part of the reason they drink lesser product is because they can't afford quality and quantity at the same time. I think this is why Budweiser, Miller, Coors, St. Charles Wine, Yellowtail, etc. all are doing very well.