• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

CLEANING! The Tardis build begins!

Barrel Char Wood Products

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Here's a way to make it safer.
Open the lid.
Turn the freezer on as cold as possible.
Leave lid open
Come back in half an hour.
You will see first where the refrigerant lines run.
Not all sides have refrigerant lines.
Choose one that doesn't.
Then tentatively drill so you only pierce the putter metal.
Using a sharp tool, or the drill it in your fingers, gently remove the insulation.
When you're certain there are no wires in your way, drill through the inner skin.
Place a hollow rivet in the hole, I like using a plumbing fitting such as a 'tank outlet' or bulkhead fitting

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
This is similar to what I mean:
aqurevyg.jpg

You can screw an end cap on the end with a tiny hole and rubber grommet for the probe if you like.
Or just silicone it up, it's easy enough to remove now.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Great idea! I will look into that.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
Really? Well that nixes that idea. I would hate to ruin a brand new freezer I don't think it will be much less efficient if I keep the probe through the seal on the door. I bet I could just go through the seal itself to avoid a bulge.

Since my wife occasionally needs to use our garage refrigerator for food (ex. for the Thanksgiving turkey), I did not want to drill a hole in it. I just close the door on the probe cable and let the gasket close around it. This has worked fine for me for a couple of years, although I do not know if chest freezer door seals are different.

EricS

NewBee
Registered Member
May 1, 2013
Central Valley, CA
Problem with most of the new chest freezers is that the metal body acts like a radiator and pulls heat off of the coils, so not sure if you should drill them. Top is different though, look at the keezer builds, they won't cut the sides but will the lid. I'd probably keep it simple though and use the drain, just drill a hole in the plug, stick the probe through, and caulk around the wire.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Many ways to skin a cat. Thanks everyone!

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Am waiting to hear about the installation and testing of that tap system

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

X2

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL

After the A/C. Depending on the cost of installation some other details like filters and lighting will be taking a back seat. I'll use candles of I have to. Lol. That thing wasn't in the budget!

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
OK! Progress! A/C is installed and working very well. Those mini split units are QUIET! Much cheaper to run than a regular window unit. The garage is now cool and finally drying out. Amazing the amount of water that A/C is pulling out of the air in there. Monday will see the estimate for installing the TARIDS Console... or tap system. I plan to have six corny kegs coming out of one of the freezers set to 35 degrees with the handy dandy controller. It all depends on the price the guy gives me for setting upthe glycol system. If it's too high, I'll keep the tap tower and the manifold, but sell everything else and go with the usual Co2 Corny setup.

Pictures will come soon. It looks like a bomb went off in a cardboard box factory in there at the moment.

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
How big is the hole? Can't you just plug it with a rubber stopper or cover it and still use it as a "regular" freezer?

I think I answered my next question: the sensor/temp control thing allows you to use the freezer as a fridge, right?

Also, what's the advantage of using a freezer for this? Is it a residual coolness type thing or something? Why not use a fridge instead?

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
Another thing: Is anybody getting garbled Reply to message buttons at the bottom right of each thread like I am? I can't edit posts anymore either, all of a sudden!! The edit button is gone from next to my posts, but I can post just fine...and I'm logged in, as far as I can tell? Forum glitch, maybe?

This is what the Reply to Message area looks like for me:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3iFjsUUdaVZOWVDU0FBR3hBOFU/edit?usp=sharing

I'm using Firefox. I would think it would be supported okay. Anyone else use Firefox?

Ooooo-kay, the Edit button is back on this post, but not the one above that I made. Just...weird.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3iFjsUUdaVZM1BLa2xqa2ROaVk/edit?usp=sharing

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
The edit button goes away after an hour or so. You have limited time to make changes so that's normal.

I also have the garbled text. It seems to only be cosmetic.

As far as the freezers, yes they are controlled externally and they are better insulated than fridges. Also they hold up to 7 corny kegs where the average fridge can usually do 4 max.

I haven't personAlly done 7 yet but that day she is a comin!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
The edit button goes away after an hour or so. You have limited time to make changes so that's normal.

I also have the garbled text. It seems to only be cosmetic.

As far as the freezers, yes they are controlled externally and they are better insulated than fridges. Also they hold up to 7 corny kegs where the average fridge can usually do 4 max.

I haven't personAlly done 7 yet but that day she is a comin!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

Hmm, 2 freezers, and 1 fridge = 14 + 4 = 18 corny kegs at a time!!! If no fridge then 14 at a time! Anyway you look at it a "pub crawl" (pub as in "pub"lic call box...) would be a wild night in the TARDIS.... Note to self: hitchhike to Florida ASAP...

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Ok. A/C finally installed. Looks good and cools down the whole place in minutes.

uty9eguh.jpg

Still looks like a war zone in here though.

yqave7u8.jpg

The garage door is now hidden behind a curtain. And you can see some of the speakers the will be pumping the tunes.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns