• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Post your homemade ice cream recipes

Barrel Char Wood Products

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
Making the family favorite homemade ice cream for Easter. Just wondering if anyone else has some great recipes to share. It seems like I only bust this machine out once a year and would like to get more use out of it. Please post your recipes.

Here's mine

2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour, plus 2 tb spoons.
1/2 tsp salt
5 cups whole milk
4 Eggs beaten
4 cups heavy whipping cream
3 tb vanilla extract
1 tb cinnamon
1 tb nutmeg

Combine sugar, flour and salt in a pot. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat for 15 min or until thickened... stirring constantly when applying to heat.

After 15 min, gradually stir 1 cup of hot mixture in with the eggs and mix well. Then add the egg mixture to the remaining hot mixture and stir constantly for 1 minute.

Refrigerate for 2 hours and then combine the spices and whipping cream. Stir thoroughly with a metal whisk. Then use homemade ice cream maker to your settings.

kchaystack

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2013
Lansing, MI
You need to look for the book Ice Cream Happy Hour. It tells you the secret of making alcoholic ice cream. I've had several of the recipes.... They are amazing

Yay mead!

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour, plus 2 tb spoons.
1/2 tsp salt
5 cups whole milk
4 Eggs beaten
4 cups heavy whipping cream
3 tb vanilla extract
1 tb cinnamon
1 tb nutmeg

I've never seen an ice cream recipe with flour before... What does this bring to the party?

And this is an awesome thread idea!

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
I was surprised when i was first saw this too but it's such a small amount. Gives it a thicker consistency compared to the other vanilla recipe I used. Never heard a complaint about it so far... unless everyone was being polite.

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
I can see it as a thickening agent there now that I think about it again. It sounds good! I just got a ice cream maker and may need to give it a try!

Cheers!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns