View Poll Results: Select your favorite final gravity range from the choices below.

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1.000 or below

5 27.78%
  • 1.001 - 1.010

6 33.33%
  • 1.011 - 1.020

6 33.33%
  • 1.021 - 1.030

1 5.56%
  • 1.031 - 1.040

0 0%
  • 1.041 or above

0 0%

Thread: Sweet or Dry?

Default Sweet or Dry?

How sweet do you like your mead?

Depending on the occasion, sometimes I like my mead dry and sometimes sweet. If you had to choose your favorite, which of the specific gravity ranges listed in this poll would you prefer. I like a final gravity around 1.015, but I am still experimenting.

It totally depends on the mead or wine in question, but most of the time I find myself aiming for around 1.015 as well. Then agian I've got one that's way too sweet at 1.010 and another that needs more backsweetening at 1.020...
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

3. Default

I've never had a finished dry mead... only 1.015-1.030 range. Usually they aren't aged well so the extra honey helps.

My Social Networking

Add Riverat on Facebook

I like mine dry for the most part, but I did make a sweet cherry chocolate for the gals that I do like in small amounts
    You only go around once in life, but if you do it right, once is enough

I'm still not convinced that an FG below 1.000 makes a mead dry. Ok, I know that that's given as a definition, but so far the sweetness of a mead for me has depended much more on the starting gravity. 1.090 and it's on the dry side. 1.110 and there's nothing dry about it. So far everything I've made has ended below 1.000, but I've had no temptation whatsoever to add honey after it finished. It already tasted plenty sweet. That could, of course, be because of the yeast -- I'll have a better idea of that in another year or so when my yeast comparison meads finish.

I have a few that finished at .012, which I liked at the time but now feel are too sweet for more than a glass at a time.
    probably shooting for .010 and under for the next few batches.
    It goes ding when there's stuff.

I like dry but my family likes sweet.
    Making Mead With TLC since 2010