Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 109

Thread: BOMM Questions.

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Northeast Southweston, CT, USA
    Posts
    947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antonichen View Post
    ... Joe, would you mind giving a brief rundown of your traditional mead that you like so much? What kind of yeast does it use, which honey(s), how long do you age it, and do you add ingredients to a secondary ferment or anything in particular?
    Certainly. Its pretty much a straight traditional with 1 cup of brewed black tea, spring water (Whatever happens to be on sale at the grocery store), 3 lbs/gallon store brand clover honey (BJ's). Lalvin K1V-1116 yeast. Aged for ~6 months.

    I'll PM you the particulars.

    Joe
    Intelligence Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit
    Wisdom Is Knowing Not To Put It In A Fruit Salad

  2. Default

    Thanks! I'll be looking for that message!

    I added a cup of brewed jasmine tea to my JAOM variation, but also a lot of fresh strawberries into the main fermentation.. Haha, talk about bitter (I read later that it isn't exactly recommended)! I racked if off of the lees, and added some honey to sweeten. I fully intend on leaving it alone for the good part of six months to a year to see if anything good comes out of it. As horrible as it tastes, I'm constantly wanting to sample it!

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Northeast Southweston, CT, USA
    Posts
    947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antonichen View Post
    Thanks! I'll be looking for that message!

    I added a cup of brewed jasmine tea to my JAOM variation, but also a lot of fresh strawberries into the main fermentation.. Haha, talk about bitter (I read later that it isn't exactly recommended)! I racked if off of the lees, and added some honey to sweeten. I fully intend on leaving it alone for the good part of six months to a year to see if anything good comes out of it. As horrible as it tastes, I'm constantly wanting to sample it!
    I know what you mean. No matter how disappointing it was the last time, I keep going back to see how it smells and tastes. Its a corollary of the "a watched pot never boils" rule. I've got no experience with strawberries, so I couldn't say, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out with a completely different character than what you find now.

    Hang in there,

    Joe
    Intelligence Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit
    Wisdom Is Knowing Not To Put It In A Fruit Salad

  4. Default

    Hey Joe, those Wyeast 1388 Smack Packs aren't exactly cheap when also combined with the honey one must buy for the BOMM. I've read vaguely about people reusing their yeast.. Would that take place after initial racking? Like, after the first month regarding the BOMM? I fully intend on making more of these batches and fiddling around with them. Is it okay to use the yeast two or three times again? And in relation to those questions, I have to order my 1388 online, and this time I ordered them in conjunction with some cold packs (from PA to AL, via morebeer/morewine.com); do you think those are necessary every time I reorder the 1388? Probably in the summer months?

    Thanks for reading!

  5. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antonichen View Post
    Hey Joe, those Wyeast 1388 Smack Packs aren't exactly cheap when also combined with the honey one must buy for the BOMM. I've read vaguely about people reusing their yeast.. Would that take place after initial racking? Like, after the first month regarding the BOMM? I fully intend on making more of these batches and fiddling around with them. Is it okay to use the yeast two or three times again? And in relation to those questions, I have to order my 1388 online, and this time I ordered them in conjunction with some cold packs (from PA to AL, via morebeer/morewine.com); do you think those are necessary every time I reorder the 1388? Probably in the summer months?

    Thanks for reading!
    Reusing yeast is fine. I would say make the first BOMM and let it go 3-4 weeks, then rack. Pour the remaining slurry into batch 2 after all is mixed up. Avoid and dark spots if they are present. Dark spots could be autolysed yeast. I would not exceed 4 reuses.

    Northern Brewer ships with ice packs during the summer and are fairly price competitive. You can ask for a bulk quote as well. Alternatively, you can make a yeast bank. I have a post on how to do that here.


    Better brewing through science!
    Better brewing through science!

  6. Default

    You mean bulk yeast correct (which would include the one time cold packs)? That thought had crossed my mind, but I was not knowledgeable enough with regards to long term storage of the yeast.

    Thank you for the reply. So once I've racked off my initial BOMM, I am assuming you mean that whatever I can't siphon out of the bottom (minus any dark spots), that is what I should add with my second batch correct? Is there an approximate limit as to how much solution I'll need to ensure I get the next batch fermenting? That is, making sure I have enough yeast in the new mix.

    Loveofrose I am thoroughly enjoying this brew so far! It's only six days in, my last gravity readings were about 1.02 a day or two ago, I've already reached both sugar breaks. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was able to obtain some more honey to my shortage in one batch, it's totally dissolved and looks identical to the other now. I know you say that it's pretty much good to drink once it reaches the gravity, but I'll wait the full month before I drink (and hopefully another two!). I have sampled a few tastes and it's already much better than my previous batches, I think mainly due to the Belgian yeast.

    I think what I'm going to do is leave one alone, and add some honey to the other and also rack it on top of some frozen cherries (after they've been pitted, split, etc.).

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loveofrose View Post
    Reusing yeast is fine. I would say make the first BOMM and let it go 3-4 weeks, then rack. Pour the remaining slurry into batch 2 after all is mixed up. Avoid and dark spots if they are present. Dark spots could be autolysed yeast. I would not exceed 4 reuses.

    Northern Brewer ships with ice packs during the summer and are fairly price competitive. You can ask for a bulk quote as well. Alternatively, you can make a yeast bank. I have a post on how to do that here.


    Better brewing through science!
    What's the title of that thread? I can't find it in the search.

  8. #48

    Default

    Yeast bank. It's in the Patrons section.


    Better brewing through science!
    Better brewing through science!

  9. Default

    Yeah I did the same thing, couldn't find the thread =P

  10. Default

    Im not sure if this has been asked but what happens if you dont have any Potassium carbonate? I just pitched yeast last night into my new minibrew conical with 13.5lbs honey, 3 tsp of Diammonium Phosphate and 2 tsp of yeast energizer.
    Last edited by GDP; 07-03-2014 at 08:38 AM.

  11. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GDP View Post
    Im not sure if this has been asked but what happens if you dont have any Potassium carbonate? I just pitched yeast last night into my new minibrew conical with 13.5lbs honey, 3 tsp of Diammonium Phosphate and 2 tsp of yeast energizer.
    It still works usually, though you void the warranty and so can't ask for your money back. The potassium seems to help the yeast along, though they can still manage to do their job without the addition. And the carbonate helps protect against the pH dropping too low, though that is only a problem with some honeys, not all. It's a good safety measure to add it since there will be times when it makes a significant difference, though depending on the nutrients already in your honey it could be unneeded. At least that's been my experience. I've added Potassium Carbonate Additions to my list of best practices, though, and so now do it as a default.

  12. Default

    Well I just ordered a lb of bicarbonate as it was cheaper and should have it Monday, so will add it then.

  13. Default

    I checked my gravity today and I'm right at 1.00. It has been six days. I'm going to leave one batch alone, by I already added some honey to the other batch. I'm so amazed by the fermentation time, I guess after only making jaoms. My og was 1.082 and six days later it's 1!

  14. Default

    But* ... hate being on my phone!

  15. Default

    Here's a question for you that I've not seen asked.
    I usually don't put fruit in primary, but I have a recipe I'm working on that will use a few bags of frozen raspberries in primary. I'll be using the 1388 and trying it BOMM style. Would you suggest I add some metabisulfite to the must 24 hrs before pitching? I've read that 1388 doesn't have the kill factor of some other yeasts. Or should I mix and pitch?

  16. #56

    Default

    I've never tried it in primary, and I can't do sulfites due to an allergy.

    If I was to add fruit in primary, I would just throw the frozen berries in with a massive starter. 1388 may not have a kill factor, but large numbers always win!


    Better brewing through science!
    Better brewing through science!

  17. Default

    Okay I broke the warranties and I've kept adding honey as you suggested Rose (but to both batches) heh. I mean, everything is pretty much the same, but as I've taken some samples of the brews, I've been refilling with more honey. As of today, 9th of July (brews started on 27 June), there was no sweetness the last times that I sampled, which was about 3 days ago, so I added more honey. Honey is totally dissolved in both batches. My hydrometer broke unfortunately so I'm waiting for a replacement. The last time I checked the gravities it appeared that they were teetering underneath the 1.000 line. I'm still degassing and the brews are both still bubbling away with the addition of the honey.

    They both tasted very dry, which is exactly what I'm striving for, so until I taste some sweetness in the mix, I'm assuming that the yeast have not yet been exhausted. I think at this point I'm going to leave them both alone though and not add any more honey. I'm afraid if I do, the yeast will finish fermenting and I'll be left with a sweet brew which is not my intention. I think so far, I've added about half or 3/4 of a pound in increments at this point to each batch.

  18. #58

    Default BOMM Questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by antonichen View Post
    Okay I broke the warranties and I've kept adding honey as you suggested Rose (but to both batches) heh. I mean, everything is pretty much the same, but as I've taken some samples of the brews, I've been refilling with more honey. As of today, 9th of July (brews started on 27 June), there was no sweetness the last times that I sampled, which was about 3 days ago, so I added more honey. Honey is totally dissolved in both batches. My hydrometer broke unfortunately so I'm waiting for a replacement. The last time I checked the gravities it appeared that they were teetering underneath the 1.000 line. I'm still degassing and the brews are both still bubbling away with the addition of the honey.

    They both tasted very dry, which is exactly what I'm striving for, so until I taste some sweetness in the mix, I'm assuming that the yeast have not yet been exhausted. I think at this point I'm going to leave them both alone though and not add any more honey. I'm afraid if I do, the yeast will finish fermenting and I'll be left with a sweet brew which is not my intention. I think so far, I've added about half or 3/4 of a pound in increments at this point to each batch.
    Depending on how incrementally you add, It has the potential to hit 19%. It gets rather stiff to drink without oak to cut the ABV... Unless that's what you are going for. If not, just stop where you are. It should be fine.


    Better brewing through science!
    Better brewing through science!

  19. Default

    Wow! I thought I would be looking at 14% max. Yeah a staggering 19% would be awesome haha.

  20. Default

    I want to make a melomel out of my BOMM. I cut it up and freeze. I rack it then through in my berries or what ever. how long do i let it sit in there? 3 weeks?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •