• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

BOMM Questions.

Barrel Char Wood Products

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Yes. It does, but after a few years, it doesn't really improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apollomead

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2017
What are most of you using for primary? I have plenty of two gallon buckets but I'm curious as to how people are keeping headspace down when racking to a secondary 1 gallon container? Some volume will be lost due to the lees settling on the bottom.

Maybe I should just grab a couple wide mouth bubblers 1.4 gallons for primary so I can drop a sanitized hydrometer in rather than using a wine thief to take constant gravity readings since I will be able to see through the glass unlike a plastic bucket.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Hi Apollo. Yes that will work. You can also pour your sample back in the must if you keep everything sanitized.

Welcome to the forum. It's best to start a new thread rather than resurrect one that was started several years ago. :)

Apollomead

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2017
Hi Apollo. Yes that will work. You can also pour your sample back in the must if you keep everything sanitized.

Welcome to the forum. It's best to start a new thread rather than resurrect one that was started several years ago. :)
Sorry I didn't know if I should start a new one or revive this one from the dead since it dealt with BOMMs in particular. Thanks for the quick response though Squatchy. I will start a new thread from now on if I have a question. Looking forward to learning from everyone here!

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Sorry I didn't know if I should start a new one or revive this one from the dead since it dealt with BOMMs in particular. Thanks for the quick response though Squatchy. I will start a new thread from now on if I have a question. Looking forward to learning from everyone here!

That's great brother. We really are here to help you. Tons of good stuff here. :)

bob.murphy

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 24, 2017
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place - this thread seems to be a thread for general BOMM questions so I hope I'm not hijacking anything

Simple question. I'm making a regular BOMM and I'm wondering do I need to rack to secondary or just leave it on the lees for the month?

Thanks

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place - this thread seems to be a thread for general BOMM questions so I hope I'm not hijacking anything

Simple question. I'm making a regular BOMM and I'm wondering do I need to rack to secondary or just leave it on the lees for the month?

Thanks

Personally I would stir it every day to suspend the lees for a few weeks and then let it drop out and rack. Others will tell you differently. The lees will clean up the left overs from the ferment and will also add more mouth feel. Plus once you stop stirring it will drop out much faster. I would also cold crash it when you want it to drop out.

bob.murphy

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 24, 2017
Personally I would stir it every day to suspend the lees for a few weeks and then let it drop out and rack. Others will tell you differently. The lees will clean up the left overs from the ferment and will also add more mouth feel. Plus once you stop stirring it will drop out much faster. I would also cold crash it when you want it to drop out.

Ok - however I am actually away next week ( after day 8 of the ferment ) ... I didn't think I needed to do anything to it at that point ... would it still be ok to leave it on the lees even if I'm not stiring it - this is my first bomm - I'm shooting for basic success here not trying to win an award as of yet but it it will ruin it then I'll organise something somehow

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Ok - however I am actually away next week ( after day 8 of the ferment ) ... I didn't think I needed to do anything to it at that point ... would it still be ok to leave it on the lees even if I'm not stiring it - this is my first bomm - I'm shooting for basic success here not trying to win an award as of yet but it it will ruin it then I'll organise something somehow

You'll be ok

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns