• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Strains of yeast

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dunn1994

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 28, 2014
I have bought ritchies yeast nutrient and energiser. No information has been posted about it anywhere other than the generic statement of it being a yeast and nutrient.
I did some digging and found out that ritchies have a Facebook page... I contacted them and they replied with this " Hi Sam the yeast strain is saccharomyces bayanus with an alcohol tolerance up to 18%, hope this answers your question."

After Googling this, Wikipedia shows that this is the same type used in Lalvin EC-1118.

So is this the same product just differently labelled?

Sam :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Hum? Well how do you know it's not the same as K1-V1116 ? Cos that's also tolerant to 18%........

The Ritchies product isn't a bad product, but I suspect there are better.

I too used stuff like that when I first started but soon found, it was worth the hassle of sourcing Lallemand yeasts (lalvin, enoferm and uva ferm ranges - mostly the lalvin ones as they're the easiest ones to find).

Are they "the best" ? Dunno ! What the difference is, is that they seem to publish more info/data on their products than any of the other makers put together.......

Yes, there is a huge range and only 5 or 6 are routinely packed into home brew size packs. If you don't mind mail ordering then you can get small packs of most of them. Or a few of the other hard to find ones you might find mentioned hereabouts.

If you want to try something more local but seemingly good, then there's Brouwland in Belgium. I understand that any HBS that has a Brupaks account can get their stuff direct (brupaks being the UK distributor for Brouwland stuff-or mail order direct-the Belgian postal service doesn't seem to be the quickest but I've not had anything lost).

It does take a bit of effort to get then better quality materials, but it seems worth it IMO......

Oh and if you wanted to try some of the liquid yeasts you'll see mentioned, the HBS in Aldershot does the wyeast ones and I understand that there's one in Salisbury that stocks the White Labs ones...... depends where you are etc......

Dunn1994

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 28, 2014
I still have a 2/3rds full tub of ritchies.
Once that has finished I will definitely start experimenting with better yeasts...

It was £2.60 for a 100g tub and I had never brewed before so it seemed logical at the time and it does produce good mead (although my pallete is inexperienced :')

I am pleased with it, I just wanted to know some more about it :)

Thanks for the advice, I shall work my way through the published recipes on here, that should get me through the most common yeasts :)

Sam :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
I think a tub is a good way to start. Mead making tends to be expensive for new brewers as they have to buy equipment. Also, it might be good to get the technique polished first as a mistake might result in not so good mead no matter what yeast you use. In fact the very first recipe we suggest is JAOM which uses bread yeast. I think it would be nice to compare a good batch made from this ritchies yeast and some better yeast by lallemand. helps to refine your palate maybe

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns