• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Foolishly left Mead for one year.....

Barrel Char Wood Products

tboyle

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2014
Hello all,

Brand new to the forum and joined to get some speedy advice.

My friend who I usually make mead with was out of the country for the past year so I was not paying much attention to the last brew we made before he left.

I foolishly left an entire 5 gallon carboy of mead for a year without checking it. The mead had already been racked twice and I was waiting for additional particles to settle out before bottling but then got lazy when school started up for me last fall.

I just checked it now and the water in the airlock has totally evaporated and I am not sure if it is drinkable anymore. I assume it would have oxidized pretty badly from that but I wanted to ask this forum what they think.

It smells and tastes alot like fresh mead or young mead (not aged) for some reason and I am not sure what to do.

bottle and hope for the best? or dump it down the drain and start again?

Torin

tboyle

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2014
I tasted it and it was not horrible tastes alot like fresh mead so i bottled it. I hope it turns out ok.

what sort of flavours would i have been looking for if it was bad?

Torin

Riverat

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
I tasted it and it was not horrible tastes alot like fresh mead so i bottled it. I hope it turns out ok.

what sort of flavours would i have been looking for if it was bad?

Torin

I've heard "wet cardboard", "sherry, to bad sherry" or even vinegar...knock on wood I have yet to see it myself but I get the impression that traditionals are pretty resistant to oxidation

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
It would have turned brown and tasted bad, sounds like yours tasted good so great. NO EXCUSE to not check an airlock, takes what 5 seconds?? Keep a little bottle of KM water beside your carboys to make topping up the airlock less of a chore. You should always visit your meads often to fully appreciate them during their birth and maturing, talk to them a little to make them feel wonderful, give the carboy a little rub every now and then and they will always perform much better for you. WVMJ

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
True, they say that playing mozart softly to your mead can make it age better

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns