• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Gotmead.com CON?

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I was thinking the other day that it might be fun to put together a "GOTMEAD.COMCON" somewhere. Anyone think it would be fun besides me? I envision a very casual get together where all gotmeaders are invited. Admission would be 750ml of home-made mead. Maybe find a large pub to sponsor the event (our payment would be the food everyone orders) and set aside a bunch of tables or a room for us. That way we wouldn't have to worry about venue, licensing for the booze, etc. I'm not imagining it would be a huge group, although it would be a pleasant surprise if it were.

Hard part is figuring out a location since we are all so spread out. Location would then determine time of year. Figuring if southern climes are more common, winter, and if it's in the north, fall or spring (because summer in the north is just as bad as in the south) LOL Although it really doesn't matter...

So?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Ohhhhhhh. I thought the mazer cup was something else that gotmead went to.

Never mind.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Well, anyone who is willing to drive to ft lauderdale area is more than welcome to try some mead in my tiny apartment!

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I'll go again! But let's get some more mazers. Alternatively we can set a date to come to my place and I'll smoke up a mess of pulled pork.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

edblanford

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Manyee, I am retired and amazed that you have enough free time and energy to dream this stuff up! I live in Salt Lake City and at 100 plus today, this would not be the month to doit here!

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
HAHA! When the cell phone transformed into a full powered desktop computer I found the time to do many things at once! This thread was started while I was waiting to testify against some douche that broke into my car. He forgot to smile for the cameras. LOL! Now whether I'm recording a voice over, or waiting at the doctor's office or writing at home (especially then) I can take a moment to indulge my gotmead.com fetish!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Likewise, anyone finding themselves in Ottawa is welcome to drop by and sample whatever I can reach in the catacombs, and there's a really good pub right around the corner... I dunno how it works in the 'states, but the liquor laws here in Ontario say if alcohol is for sale at a venue, we can't drink our own there while the bar's open. Or at least that's how I understand it works, according to what we were told when we got the liquor license for our wedding 5 years ago.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Likewise, anyone finding themselves in Ottawa is welcome to drop by and sample whatever I can reach in the catacombs, and there's a really good pub right around the corner... I dunno how it works in the 'states, but the liquor laws here in Ontario say if alcohol is for sale at a venue, we can't drink our own there while the bar's open. Or at least that's how I understand it works, according to what we were told when we got the liquor license for our wedding 5 years ago.

I think that's a great law. No excuse to drink alone when you could be at your local.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
We would do that with bottles of wine taken to our restaurant that night. They charged a "corking fee" of something like $5 or $10. But that was in Palm Springs Kalifornicator about a decade ago... I think a lot of businesses offer that service here in the US. You just have to ask around...

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
Our local brewers club (James River Brewers) meets in a restaurant (The Mekong) every month and often has a great turnout (50+ brewers), I'm sure a group like this would be happy to "host" such an event. Additionally Richmond is a hot bed of craft beer and microbrew activity, and we're halfway up the east coast... You might even get to meet the yeast lab team!

Food for thought?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Ah, yes, the corking fee... when we were scoping out wedding locations and caterers, one said they'd shut down the bar during supper while my wine was on the table, another said flat out no you can't bring your own, and a third wanted to charge me almost as much in corking fees as the second wanted for their house wine. Guess where we ended up going... :)

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Ah, yes, the corking fee... when we were scoping out wedding locations and caterers, one said they'd shut down the bar during supper while my wine was on the table, another said flat out no you can't bring your own, and a third wanted to charge me almost as much in corking fees as the second wanted for their house wine. Guess where we ended up going... :)

That law would never fly around here. Bars are open from as early as 6am to as late as 1PM....that's 1PM because they OPEN at 4AM... so basically there's a bar open 24/7 in Miami/Miami Beach (two different cities for those who are confused about the distinction) so really at home or out at any time of day or night there's no excuse not to get your drink on...

As a native New Yorker... even I have to admit that Miami is really the city that never sleeps.. at least not to stop boozing it up. :)

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Our local brewers club (James River Brewers) meets in a restaurant (The Mekong) every month and often has a great turnout (50+ brewers), I'm sure a group like this would be happy to "host" such an event. Additionally Richmond is a hot bed of craft beer and microbrew activity, and we're halfway up the east coast... You might even get to meet the yeast lab team!

Food for thought?

Sounds like the makings of an East Coast GOTMEADER's mini con to me...

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
Here in Houston, we quite often go to breweries and local pubs to have bottle shares. Where everyone shares whatever they have and drink whatever is being served at the place we are hanging out at.

Of course it seems most people are over towards the East side of the continent...

-- Steve

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns