• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First Mead, Few Questions

Barrel Char Wood Products

LiquidFlame

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2014
Hello,

I decided to try making my first mead after watching Brewing TV Episode 21. I wanted to try making Curt's Super Berry Melomel Recipe, but I got a couple of questions.

1. As far as I can tell, the recipe is for a 5 gallon batch, but I plan on doing a 2.5 gallon batch instead. Now from what I have read, it seems like when your scaling down a recipe, you can just halve the original amount of the ingredients. You should be ok using the original amount of yeast, but what about the Nutrient Additions?
  2. When it comes to the fruit, I plan on just using frozen fruit from the grocery store. Do I need to thaw the fruit before adding it to the primary fermenter?
  3. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how to you know when 30% of the sugar has been depleted?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns