• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Honey prices are getting INSANE here this summer - North Central Washington State

Barrel Char Wood Products

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
This is my first full day being back home because the fires here ran me out of my home because of the smoke (breathing problems, dual inhalers). My tainted batches have stopped all fermentation since double dosing with K-Meta. And I was considering buying some honey, my partner knowing I want/need more honey checked some prices when he was out the last 7 days I was gone. Here are the prices:

1 pint $13
1 quart $20
1 Gallon $60
5 Gallon UNAVAILABLE

My conclusion from 4 fruit stands with these prices is: NO FRICKIN WAY!!!

The friends I stayed with love to use honey instead of sugar and want to buy a bucket. So we are now up to THREE buckets of honey, but if the price increase is across the board (I know you all pay more, but I'm poor ($197 a month GROSS income)) I'll have to cut out some more expenses for the $175 bucket for me anyway...

Just thought I'd report the increase from $8 pint, $15 quart, $40 gallons, and $100 buckets (which is a big increase from last years prices, used to be: $5 pint, $10 quart, $25 to $35 Gallon). They have raw honey (not strained like mine) for $165 before this, now possibly up to $225 or so.

Not sure if it's just Summer Touron pricing, or permanent price changes. As they all happened in 9 months, I am leaning towards permanent at this point. But, we'll see...

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
I was visiting in Maryland last week, and saw shelf prices at $15-$18 a pint as well for generic wildflower.

Personally, I can't see pricing it that high for my own area (many beekeepers in the Finger Lakes). Even if that weren't the case, I probably wouldn't go that high. I want to encourage people to buy and consume honey, not treat it like it's liquid gold to be frugally ingested!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Ouchie, that's pretty harsh, I thought $8/lb for the fancy stuff was pretty awful when I can get good stuff for $3/lb...

edblanford

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Glad to see that you and yours made it through the fires safely. Your area has been hit hard. That may be part of the reason for the spike in honey prices, although price gouging seems more likely.

Ed

ostensibly

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI
$100 dollar buckets (5 gal?) would be amazing. The going price around here has been 180-220 for wildflower, higher for varietals.

PapaScout

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 10, 2014
Indiana, US
Central Indiana I can get 5 lbs Sue Bee clover honey for $15. Still looking for a source for more flavorful honey.

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
I can get 5 gallons of honey real cheap here.... Not. Got quoted a price of 250 for wildflower lol. I usually purchase in 3 kg pails, that run for 30-40 dollars. And for most 5 gallon batches I need 3 of these :(

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
I know money is tight, but you can do a lot with 1 gallon of honey, and for 60 bucks, you'd have money left over

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

rayway

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Last year I bought wildflower, sunflower, and clover honey for $2.50/Lb. This year it's up to $3.50/lb. That's a heck of an increase. My honey lady said it's because of bee losses, and the flooding we experienced here this year. That's the price the honey board has set. Yikes.

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
I've been sourcing honey lately, and yes, I see an increase across the board too. Some of the reasons cited this year: there were losses to bee mites and some colony collapses, drought in the west and in the south, and yes other areas with flooding.

Tupelo and sage may as well be precious metals - many vendors only have remains from prior years.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Yep. No tupelo this year in Florida. At least none that is affordable or local. A local vendor told me it had something to do with weather. I forget if it was a cold snap or rain related at the moment, but honey is going up here as well.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns