• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

mead infection?

Barrel Char Wood Products

baltar

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 8, 2014
Hi all!

About a month and half ago I made a little batch of mead, I didnt pasteurize the honey, only warmed up a little to make it more fluid, I added the honey, the water and the yeast nutrients in a jug, shaked like hell for about 10 minutes and then pitched the yeast. By the end of the 3rd week of fermentation there was almost no airlock activity so I racked it in 2 smaller bottles.

This photos were taken a week after the racking last week.
http://imgur.com/ztsHtRK
http://imgur.com/Qc8uPyU
http://imgur.com/WdOBxB5

There is this kind of dust at the top of the mead and if I shake the bottle a little, it sinks and then it goes up again.

I used
2.20 lbs of raw sulla honey
1.10 lbs of raw wildflower honey
0.66 lbs of raw acacia honey
2 teaspoons of yeast nutrients
1 pack wyeast sweet mead
water till 1.29 gal

sorry for the weird numbers but they're converted from metric ones! :)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yep, I get that with a lot of my batches. Welcome to the forum, where are you from that you use Metric? Europe, I'm guessing after googling Sulla honey (honeysuckle? Mmm!)

baltar

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 8, 2014
Good!
I'm writing from Italy, sulla honey is relatively similar to acacia honey in color and taste.
Thanks for the replies. :)

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Don't worry about using metric in listing your recipes we have plenty of Europeans on here and we Canadians use it also. I went to school when we switched over from standard and we learned both metric and standard measurements simultaneously and along with being in the construction industry 30 years I can now fairly accurately convert measurements in my head.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Don't worry about using metric in listing your recipes we have plenty of Europeans on here and we Canadians use it also. I went to school when we switched over from standard and we learned both metric and standard measurements simultaneously and along with being in the construction industry 30 years I can now fairly accurately convert measurements in my head.

I remember we started doing it when I was in grade school in NYC but then we went, "meh" and just kept using feet and gallons.

baltar

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 8, 2014
Well, that's good to know, hoping that I will not need to write in this part of the forum next time! :)
And now I'll go looking for some apple cyser recipe.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I remember we started doing it when I was in grade school in NYC but then we went, "meh" and just kept using feet and gallons.

Yeah, remember all the talk in the mid to late 70s about the metric system taking over? The km/hr conversion on the speedometer and all that?

A corollary of something Keith Olberman said: "The metric system is the U.S. measuring system of the future... and always will be.". ;)

-joe

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns