• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cold Crash Before Bottling? (BOMM)

Barrel Char Wood Products

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
So my 1 gallon batch spent the standard month in the main ferment, and after that I racked it onto a few pounds of frozen cherries. It has been sitting on the cherries for 12 days now and I think I'm ready to take the batch out and bottle or drink.

Should I cold crash the entire batch or first rack again to remove most of the lees and cherries before cold-crashing? There is a fair amount of lees in the bottom of the batch (no filtering has been done) as I actually sucked up more of the lees during the first racking than I had intended to do, so I fully intended on racking again regardless.

I'm kind of worried about the head space as well after I rack, since the cherries take up a lot of the volume...seems that bottling would be better at this point instead of transferring to another carboy?

Thanks for reading. ;)

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Once you add fruit, there's more danger of oxidation so I would cold crash/rack. Actually, I would cold crash, rack into a tertiary then add Super Kleer THEN rack again and bottle. But that's me.

antonichen

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 27, 2014
Thanks Mannye! I have it in the fridge right now.

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns