Thread: Cherry mead infected?(updated)

1. Default Cherry mead infected?(updated)

Ok, I've posted about this before but have a gravity reading now
    3 gallons total
    3 gallons worth of cherries (forget the weight) juiced in primary
    10 lbs honey
    118 yeast
    1.5 months old
    Original grav-1.141
    Current grav-1.030
    It tastes pretty good, still sweet, but there's pretty obvious stuff forming on the top. Should I be worried? Or do anything? Here are the pics
    http://imgur.com/k8naWc7
    http://imgur.com/3I5nN7J

2. Default

Pictures are not very clear. Looks like my grandmother's curtains. See whether you find anything similar here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pel...ection-174033/

Is the SG stable?

If it's fermented as much as you think it will, go ahead and stabilize it if you're concerned... it looks similar to stuff that formed on my hard cider two years ago, I just sulphited it twice (didn't want to sorbate it because it was going to be primed and bottle carbonated) and it was fine.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

4. Default

I do not believe it's stable yet, but i guess once it is and clear I can bottle it. Just don't want to wait too long, or not long enough. Do you think it will form mold if I wait too long?

I would let the fermentation finish if it hasn't, and then hit it with the stabilization chemicals just to be safe. If the SG's about the same next week, I'd recommend at least hitting it with sulphites. If it's the same stuff I had on my cider, it won't ruin your mead but it doesn't look too pretty in the bottle.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014