• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Natural cocoa powder VS Dutch process cocoa powder

Barrel Char Wood Products

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
I have not used either myself, but Dutch process has an alkali added and supposedly has a less intense flavor than the natural process. Not much help, but at least a starting point.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
yeah I was just doing some reading and the Dutch Process stuff is suppose to be less acidic and more smooth with a better flavor. Thats what i was leaning towards myself, unless someone tells me not to :p

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
When I worked with cocoa powder (probably Dutch process), I put it in the carboy and then racked onto it, leaving half a gallon of headspace for any shenanigans it wanted to get up to (it really didn't, though). I found that until I backsweetened it, it smelled like cocoa, but you couldn't taste the chocolate, unsweetened all it contributed was bitterness. Once I backsweetened it though, I was really happy with it. I let it sit long enough that it had all settled to the bottom so I could rack off the very thick layer without too much trouble. I did add bentonite to clarify it and it worked quite well.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Once I get some space in the basement ii had planned on doin a pumpkin and cocoa(of some sorts) secondary after the first racking.

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Once I get some space in the basement ii had planned on doin a pumpkin and cocoa(of some sorts) secondary after the first racking.

Unusual combo, but could be yummy. How are you going to prep the pumpkin? Also, you might consider tossing in a sweet potato; those are reputed to contribute pumpkin flavors when fermented.

I have found that anything less than 6 oz per gallon really doesn't generate enough impact to register on my palate. YMMV

Thanks!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I was happy with what the sweet potato contributed when I got a chance to use them... I found the purple ones, they make for a lovely golden colour instead of the white wine colour I usually get. Too bad that batch had something weird happen with the ginger I used...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns