• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Life, the Universe, and WHAT???

Barrel Char Wood Products

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
As most of you may know I have been dealing with a lack of honey, and hoping to remedy this situation around October or November. You also know my bipolar friend messed with ~6 gallons, nearly ruining it. I have a new and exciting problem: my health!

I was just released from the hospital and ICU on Friday. I won't go into the details, but here are the pertinent bits:

Massive internal bleed necessitating 15 pints of blood and blood products over a 48 hour period.
ER & ICU stay for 3 days.
Hospital stay for 4 more days.
At least 7 separate tests (minus blood work)
2 Nuclear studies (Injected with Technetium-99m)

They found no cause, source, or reason for the problem. No surgery as they have no idea WHERE it may be, nor how it happened. And I have no idea either. Makes it all the more scary!!!

So now you know the last 10 days of my life. Next is what I can and cannot do.

I have no energy (total lack of stamina and strength), as well as having to take frequent breaks, and even lay down for 10 to 60 minutes every so often. By exploring my limits over the last 3 days I know that I am able to do things, just very minimally. Plus 3 docs and 2 nurses also more or less told me I would be like this until November to December. My body may be a temple, but it resembles Angkor Wat for the next 3 or 4 months.

Just transfering 3 gallons from a primary 5 gallon wore me out for almost 1 hour of nap time.

I had planned on getting out and getting a bunch of feral apples and pears. But I cannot even make it more than 100 yards without a 10 to 15 minute rest break. Let alone being able to pick anything, then carry it, then process it, then clean up, then make something, then clean up again, then put it all away. And no my partner would not be a very good assistant. He is not very interested in my hobby, but will help if absolutely necessary, just grumpy like only a 70 year old Nederlander can be! (Doug knows something about this I bet)

I do have a couple projects left, but anything more than transferring containers, racking, etc, is beyond me for a while.

So nothing new outa me until after the New Year.

Not sure my exact plans for the 3 gallons of dry traditional, but one gallon is getting a few beans of med toast Hungarian for a few months (I think that ~10g over a 3 to 4 month period should do nicely) Any other fun ideas for the 2 gallons still to go? My mind is as lacking in energy as my body a lot of the time...

Ideas for an 80 year old 41 year old?? (I am 41, but feel 80+ at the moment)

Thanks for the help and encouragement in the past from all of you. I'm not going to give up on my hobby, just scale back to dealing with stocks on hand for the next 3-4 months. And try not to get itchy and jump the gun on my own abilities and get into a REAL mess!!!

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I'm very sorry to hear you've been ill, and will add my prayers for your speedy recovery.

Massive internal bleed necessitating 15 pints of blood and blood products over a 48 hour period.
ER & ICU stay for 3 days.
Hospital stay for 4 more days.
At least 7 separate tests (minus blood work)
2 Nuclear studies (Injected with Technetium-99m)

They found no cause, source, or reason for the problem. No surgery as they have no idea WHERE it may be, nor how it happened. And I have no idea either. Makes it all the more scary!!!

Ask your doctors about Dieulafoy lesions.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieulafoy's_lesion

Thanks for the help and encouragement in the past from all of you. I'm not going to give up on my hobby, just scale back to dealing with stocks on hand for the next 3-4 months.

One great thing about meads is that just leaving them alone for a few months usually makes them better.

Salud.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Dude! That's really sucky! And quite scary :(

I'm just recovering from minor surgery myself, and I needed a long nap after processing my pears (that I'd picked before I went in) for mead a week afterwards. I'm only 39 but I totally understand the feeling like an 80-year old, and I know how hard it is to stay laid up (I'm going batshit after two weeks now, thank heavens I'm allowed to do stuff again as of today) although my biggest problem was the anaesthetic (which turned my day surgery into an overnight hospital escapade)... I hope you feel better and regain your strength and stamina soon, and do try not to push yourself... it's like mead, time will help... just make sure you check your airlocks...

Set and forget stuff is best for you right now, if you want suggestions on things you can do slowly and with minimal physical effort. Like single-gallon JAO's, if you can get friends to bring you get-well honey. Easy-peasy, drinkable relatively quickly, and you don't have to fuss with them after you've gotten them started. Also if you don't get back to them for oh, say, a year? they'll still be fine as long as the airlock (or plastic wrap like I use on my gallon jars) was doing its job. And hey, my blackberry variation took first prize at a competition, might be worth a shot :)

I also understand the grumpy partner thing, only mine's German/Slovenian. He lifts heavy things for me... and that's about as much use as I can make of him in brewing :)

Last edited:

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aw man, that SUCKS!

The best advice from me is... well, no advice. At least about your health. I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Listen to the pros, listen to your body. I guess it goes without saying that you aren't allowed a flagon of mead to straighten you out, so as has been said already, let it age. Let both of you get better with time. ;)

I'm not what you'd call religious... and certainly not in an organized, institutional way, but you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Be well,

Joe

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns