• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Is this an infection?

Barrel Char Wood Products

silverfirexz

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2010
Chicago
I've brewed probably ten batches and I've never had an infection. I know what some infections look like, but I don't know if what I'm seeing in this batch is normal or the beginnings of an infection.

It's a 1 gallon BOMM that has just finished fermenting. I racked it to secondary last night and noticed a bunch of white dust-looking particles on the surface of the mead. The must smells yeasty and boozy, more or less like a normal freshly fermented mead. It has a very slight astringent, sour note to it. It tastes yeasty and beery with a very, very slight sour note, which might just be it's dryness, to be honest. It's so faint that I think it might just be how this honey tastes dry.

Anyway, the gravity last night was .999, original gravity was 1.093, so it's pretty well done fermenting, based in typical BOMM behavior.

Here are a couple pics:

0c68d44a2e9892a68ca6820d1427b537.jpg
fcbc657830df6459dd51fe80877c9b42.jpg

silverfirexz

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2010
Chicago
Awesome. That's what I was hoping, since it wasn't really behaving like an infection.

Re: headspace, taken care of now - got some rose hips soaking in it now. Wanted to take a clear picture of the problem before I added the rose hips. Thanks again!

I'll probably hit it with some K-meta just to be safe but I'm pretty sure it's just yeast floaters.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I don't like to generalize, but usually bacterial infections cluster into large, discrete colonies, I think. Some of the more accommodating ones also add color to announce their presence. Chevette Girl's axiom also holds true most of the time: If it tastes good and smells good, it probably IS good.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
Not to hijack but I've got an infection question myself

my ob yeast test all had a thin layer that was slightly translucent in the upper half inch or so. I assumed it was infection, I can not tell if it had any negative effects in flavor or aroma, nothing significant for certain. I wish I'd photographed it before I racked but my phone sucks and the camera had already been packed.

Anyone know?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Wolfie, did it look like a skin that wrinkled and went flaky when you jiggled things, or did it just disperse and then collect near the surface again? If it's the first, it might be an infection, if it's the second, I don't know what it is but I get that sometimes too, doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've had a few of those, if you catch it early enough it doesn't seem to affect the taste.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
Hey! uh... I'm back

Thanks for the reply Skunkboy and Chevette

I hit them with sulfite and sorbate and there is no sign of recurrence so I think I'm basically out of the woods with that one. Is there a good resource with pictures and descriptors of common infections? I searched high and low, but maybe my google foo is just not up to snuff.

Pellicle, I did not know that word. No it didn't have a skin, that pellicle is something I've definitely seen before in brews that were neglected and I've racked under it and hit with sulfites / sorbate with good results. This was different, the skin wasn't there, it was just sort of a translucent layer in the top 1/4 - 1/2 inch (rather than strictly on the surface)

/Z

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
ok so once I'd posted I found this on homebrewtalk which is a pretty good and very long thread of contamination and and things people thought was contamination. I recommend to anyone curious or worried about infection/contamination on your brew.

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Yeah, that thread has some "nice" pictures. Nobody has posted definitive pictures of what a pellicle or other issues look, like. Guess because they all very by size, and infection rate?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns