Thread: HELP Just bottled and capper is broken and everywhere is closed for the holiday!!!

1. Default HELP Just bottled and capper is broken and everywhere is closed for the holiday!!!

Please help
    Anyone around lansdale/hatfield/doylestown PA have one I can use for a few hours tonight??

If there is a hardware store open, then a 1" to 1/2" pipe reducing fitting is said to work in a pinch. Tap it gently using a rubber mallet; very very gently if using a hammer.
    "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate." - Captain Zapp Brannigan

A piece of plastic wrap over each open bottle mouth should keep things happy enough until you can get them capped. I've left stuff for months (and in one case, years) like that.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

4. Default

Ok, well the problem is it doesn't crimp them tight enough, I don't know why but I can twist almost every one. This has happened before to one or two out of 3 gallons but never every one. Do you think if I buy a new capper tomorrow it will be able to tighten them all the way or will I need new caps? And will that be ok until tomorrow or should I do plastic wrap over top of them still?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    A piece of plastic wrap over each open bottle mouth should keep things happy enough until you can get them capped. I've left stuff for months (and in one case, years) like that.
    Ok, well the problem is it doesn't crimp them tight enough, I don't know why but I can twist almost every one. This has happened before to one or two out of 3 gallons but never every one. Do you think if I buy a new capper tomorrow it will be able to tighten them all the way or will I need new caps? And will that be ok until tomorrow or should I do plastic wrap over top of them still?

Perhaps your capper is insufficiently adjusted? Try adjusting the height down a peg and pushing a mite harder.
    Mae'r teithiau golau ceffyl eto

It could also be that you have a larger European style capper. Some of the champagne bottles I got had the mouth that was too large for a standard beer crown cap. Those use a slightly larger cap and a slightly larger capper.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kudapucat View Post
    Perhaps your capper is insufficiently adjusted? Try adjusting the height down a peg and pushing a mite harder.
    I pushed crazy hard, but I'll look for an adjustment

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mannye View Post
    It could also be that you have a larger European style capper. Some of the champagne bottles I got had the mouth that was too large for a standard beer crown cap. Those use a slightly larger cap and a slightly larger capper.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.
    It is definitly a US capper, I got It down the street at my local brew shop

Quote Originally Posted by ryanshanaman View Post
    It is definitly a US capper, I got It down the street at my local brew shop
    That may be, but if it is sized for the larger caps, where you got it is a moot point. Of course, if it's worked perfectly well before and now isn't then it broke.

The good news is that even a couple of days won't hurt the mead as long as you did like CG said and put a little plastic wrap on them. That gives you plenty of time to go back to the shop and get a new one or at least exchange it if it's not that old. Those things should outlive you. Mine is over 20 years old already!

11. Default

That may be, but if it is sized for the larger caps, where you got it is a moot point. Of course, if it's worked perfectly well before and now isn't then it broke.

The good news is that even a couple of days won't hurt the mead as long as you did like CG said and put a little plastic wrap on them. That gives you plenty of time to go back to the shop and get a new one or at least exchange it if it's not that old. Those things should outlive you. Mine is over 20 years old already!
    Yeah I plan on going today after work. Most of them are pretty tight but I can twist them
    I didn't add plastic just cause I figured they were mostly sealed, think it'll be ok for a few more hours? And also, do you think I'll need new caps or can I probably just tighten the ones I already have on there?

Depends. Im a little insane with that stuff so I would most likely put new ones on. But the rational side of my brain says it's probably fine to tighten them with a proper capper and be done with it.

13. Default

Depends. Im a little insane with that stuff so I would most likely put new ones on. But the rational side of my brain says it's probably fine to tighten them with a proper capper and be done with it.
    Yeah I guess if they don't twist anymore it'll be ok

Some cappers you can just replace the bell.

Every capper I've seen you can replace the bell.
    If he's got a champagne bell on. It would do as he says, but should be visually obvious - so I doubt that's his issue, though it may be.
    All cappers I've seen you can adjust the height for different bottles.
    If it's one notch too high, it won't fully seal no matter how hard you swing on the handle.
    Mae'r teithiau golau ceffyl eto

When you get a new capper, you can always try tightening the existing caps. Loose caps is better than nothing.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014