• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

HELP Just bottled and capper is broken and everywhere is closed for the holiday!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
Please help
Anyone around lansdale/hatfield/doylestown PA have one I can use for a few hours tonight??

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
If there is a hardware store open, then a 1" to 1/2" pipe reducing fitting is said to work in a pinch. Tap it gently using a rubber mallet; very very gently if using a hammer.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
A piece of plastic wrap over each open bottle mouth should keep things happy enough until you can get them capped. I've left stuff for months (and in one case, years) like that.

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
Ok, well the problem is it doesn't crimp them tight enough, I don't know why but I can twist almost every one. This has happened before to one or two out of 3 gallons but never every one. Do you think if I buy a new capper tomorrow it will be able to tighten them all the way or will I need new caps? And will that be ok until tomorrow or should I do plastic wrap over top of them still?

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
A piece of plastic wrap over each open bottle mouth should keep things happy enough until you can get them capped. I've left stuff for months (and in one case, years) like that.

Ok, well the problem is it doesn't crimp them tight enough, I don't know why but I can twist almost every one. This has happened before to one or two out of 3 gallons but never every one. Do you think if I buy a new capper tomorrow it will be able to tighten them all the way or will I need new caps? And will that be ok until tomorrow or should I do plastic wrap over top of them still?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
It could also be that you have a larger European style capper. Some of the champagne bottles I got had the mouth that was too large for a standard beer crown cap. Those use a slightly larger cap and a slightly larger capper.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
It could also be that you have a larger European style capper. Some of the champagne bottles I got had the mouth that was too large for a standard beer crown cap. Those use a slightly larger cap and a slightly larger capper.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

It is definitly a US capper, I got It down the street at my local brew shop

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
It is definitly a US capper, I got It down the street at my local brew shop
That may be, but if it is sized for the larger caps, where you got it is a moot point. Of course, if it's worked perfectly well before and now isn't then it broke.

The good news is that even a couple of days won't hurt the mead as long as you did like CG said and put a little plastic wrap on them. That gives you plenty of time to go back to the shop and get a new one or at least exchange it if it's not that old. Those things should outlive you. Mine is over 20 years old already!

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
That may be, but if it is sized for the larger caps, where you got it is a moot point. Of course, if it's worked perfectly well before and now isn't then it broke.

The good news is that even a couple of days won't hurt the mead as long as you did like CG said and put a little plastic wrap on them. That gives you plenty of time to go back to the shop and get a new one or at least exchange it if it's not that old. Those things should outlive you. Mine is over 20 years old already!

Yeah I plan on going today after work. Most of them are pretty tight but I can twist them
I didn't add plastic just cause I figured they were mostly sealed, think it'll be ok for a few more hours? And also, do you think I'll need new caps or can I probably just tighten the ones I already have on there?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Depends. Im a little insane with that stuff so I would most likely put new ones on. But the rational side of my brain says it's probably fine to tighten them with a proper capper and be done with it.

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
Depends. Im a little insane with that stuff so I would most likely put new ones on. But the rational side of my brain says it's probably fine to tighten them with a proper capper and be done with it.

Yeah I guess if they don't twist anymore it'll be ok

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Every capper I've seen you can replace the bell.
If he's got a champagne bell on. It would do as he says, but should be visually obvious - so I doubt that's his issue, though it may be.
All cappers I've seen you can adjust the height for different bottles.
If it's one notch too high, it won't fully seal no matter how hard you swing on the handle.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
When you get a new capper, you can always try tightening the existing caps. Loose caps is better than nothing.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns