• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

stuck fermentataion?

Barrel Char Wood Products

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
3 gallons
about 20 kiwis and a maybe 10 lbs of strawberries that I juiced and put in primary
OG 1.141

pitched the yeast on 8/10, its now 9/7
on 9/3 it was at 1.06
last night I checked it and it still hasnt moved, so i added a little yeast nutrient and today its still the same.
should I be worried?

I'm not in ideal temp, it ranges from 70-80 in my room and theres nothing I can really do about it, no AC

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
Can you provide the full detail?
Yeast strain?
What nutrients in what amounts did you add?
Can you check pH?
Did you aerate?

Also, try searching the term "swamp cooler"

I added 3 tsp of nutrient right off the bat, I had shaken it up multiple times every day / other day when it was starting out but I didn't open it all that much until yesterday (when I added another half tsp of nutrient)
I think I'm going to move it to the basement, should be about 65 down there and pitch another half packet of the same kind of yeast lalvin 118

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Uh. Are you sure it's not 1.006?
Ec118 is one of the hardest yeasts to stick.
1.141-1.006= 135 points
Which is just over 18%, the rated tolerance of this yeast.
Check your hydrometer, it may just be done.
I've had ferments finish in days before.
Was it warm? You've certainly fed and cared for it well.

Edit: 70-80 is very warm.
IMHO it's definitely done.
Check your gravity reading again.

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
Uh. Are you sure it's not 1.006?
Ec118 is one of the hardest yeasts to stick.
1.141-1.006= 135 points
Which is just over 18%, the rated tolerance of this yeast.
Check your hydrometer, it may just be done.
I've had ferments finish in days before.
Was it warm? You've certainly fed and cared for it well.

Edit: 70-80 is very warm.
IMHO it's definitely done.
Check your gravity reading again.

I'm sure. It's 1.06 not .006

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Ok. :-(
This is very unusual. Ec1118 is normally used to restart stuck ferments, as it's so hard to kill.
To avoid this confusion, we always give 4 digits when stating gravity, ie 1.060
It makes it obvious there hasn't been a typo, or a misread.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
If this is the case it's only halfway there.
The hot temp won't have killed it, but it will produce odd flavours when hot.
Check your pH, it's the only other reason I can think it would fail, but the fruit should have buffered that.
I'm going to have to leave you to Medsen or somebody with more experience.
All I can suggest is repitching after making a starter.

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
If this is the case it's only halfway there.
The hot temp won't have killed it, but it will produce odd flavours when hot.
Check your pH, it's the only other reason I can think it would fail, but the fruit should have buffered that.
I'm going to have to leave you to Medsen or somebody with more experience.
All I can suggest is repitching after making a starter.

Already did re pitch and added energizer today. Will check again In a few weeks

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I added 3 tsp of nutrient right off the bat, I had shaken it up multiple times every day / other day when it was starting out but I didn't open it all that much until yesterday (when I added another half tsp of nutrient)

Which nutrient was added? White crystals or tan powder?
Can you check the pH?

Last edited:

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
Which nutrient was added? White crystals or tan powder?
Can you check the pH?
White crystals, kind of like rock salt looking stuff (not Fermax)
I just added energizer today, and was told not to open it for a few weeks. I have a good stir and shake / added oxygen when I added it so hopefully that does the trick. If not, I'll post back here with a ph reading. Will it alert you if I quote your comment like this?

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
He's likely a wine guy that told you that. Mead is not nearly as susceptible to infection as wine or especially beer. Just make sure anything that touches the mead,like your wine thief or pH meter, whatever, is sterilized and it will be okay.

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
I'd check the pH now. If it needs adjustment, sooner is better than later.

Ok well I checked the gravity again today and still no change even after the energizer, so used a wand to put some in a glass and I will be taking it into the brew shop on the way to work tomorrow and get test strips. I'll report back with the results / what advice they give me

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
I had shaken it up multiple times every day / other day when it was starting out but I didn't open it all that much until yesterday
This may seem very obvious, but who knows.. Did you open the carboy while you were shaking? Fermentations create a blanket of CO2 at the top of the carboy/bucket. If you do not open the carboy you would not be aerating while shaking, you'd just be releasing excess co2 that is trapped in the must, but no air gets in. While shaking I like to open it up, shake to degas, wait a moment for the CO2 to clear, and shake again so air is introduced inside the must. P.s for such a mead go for multiple times every day to be on the safe side. Also, you might want to keep aerating till at least the 1/3 sugar break.
Proper yeast nutrient is also very important for such a mead. Fermaid k and Tronozymol seem to be the best. Fermax also should get the job done most of the time. There are probably many other brands which are adequate. However, what you described could have been just straight DAP (diammonium phosphate) which alone may often not be enough in mead. Read up on nutrients when you get the chance

TL; DR. Basically proper aeration and nutrients are important. PH could also be an issue.. Btw a digital PH reader should be better than strips and they sell for under $10 ;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns