• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Anyone in Portland OR & willing to taste test?

Barrel Char Wood Products

BloodBlight

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 13, 2014
Hey everyone, I am fairly sure my first batch is good to go. I know it will need more time to age, but if anyone is in the area and is interested in doing a taste test I would be very appreciative.

Oh, I had one question though. Should you continue to store mead in a cool environment for continued aging?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I haven't forgotten your insane box of mead either! I'll be tasting the rest this weekend on a boat! I'll get the expert opinion of three other drunks....I mean experts...as well!

BloodBlight

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 13, 2014
Yaaa, I don't think they let you ship homemade booze here. :)

Ya, I am kinda surprised as well, thought for sure I'd have a taker.

Seriously though, it is okay to age it in the mid to high 70's?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I think for aging you will be fine.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

Myrto

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2014
Well, my significant other and I live in Portland, and funnily enough this was one of the first threads I saw. But while we would certainly be willing, we are very much beginning meadmakers ourselves, and probably wouldn't be able to give you the proper feedback. Maybe what we need is a Meadmakers' Club, like all of those Homebrewers' Clubs?

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Myrto, don't undervalue the opinion of a palate with no preconceptions, and an open mind.
It will also be educational for you.
I cannot suggest strongly enough that you catch up with BloodBlight, and see what they've got on offer. When you're ready, catch up again.
It's REALLY important and helpful.

BloodBlight

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 13, 2014
Indeed, this sounds like a fun idea. :)

New makers get to come for the info and sharing, experienced makers come for the free mead!

BloodBlight

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 13, 2014
Oh, I just tried some of it after letting it settle for a few days, MUCH better now. :) But Not I need to re-rack it again to get it 100% clear.

I assume that slight .... whatever smell goes away with age?

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
It really depends on the smell. Any chance of a better description?

Rotten egg?
Dirty socks?
Cabbage?
Chemical?
Metho?

Splash some into a glass.
Put your hand over it and shake.
Now smell it? Has it dissipated? If so, it may age out or it may need a splash racking.

BloodBlight

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 13, 2014
I plan one final racking, it is almost crystal clear now but there is some settlement that I will have to be very careful not to disturb (not 100% sure how I am going to pull that off). Do you guys use filters?

Um, from memory (for what little that is worth), almost yeasty but not in a pleasant way, but when I rack/taste it again I will do that and write down what I am thinking.

I will say I started this process using bleach to sanitize and after reading thing here switched to Sana Star products for cleaning. I also grabbed some nice glass carboys on craigslist for dirt cheap and plan to use glass from now on.

Myrto, when I get some extra time I will do a post on craigslist and see if I get any hits on other people wanting to meet up.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I use a Vinbrite filter because it's cheap and easy (like me lol) and because I haven't yet set up my more elaborate systems. But I feel that filtering gives your mead that professional polished look without affecting the flavor.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Taint. Lol. You said taint.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns