Thread: brown tendriled foam - is it infected?

1. Exclamation brown tendriled foam - is it infected?

Hey first timer here. Doing Russ Whaley's apple pie spiced cyser. Pitched k1v three days ago. It's bubbling away really well but there is a weird foamy scum on top, can't seem to get a clear answer on if it's an infection or just the spices and particles ( it has the same color as the spice mix). It still smells good, sweet and appley with no sour notes. This is my first go so maybe I'm being paranoid. I sulfated with campden tablets for 24 hours before pitching and sanitized everything I used. Stuff on the side of carboy was from shaking it. Please tell me it's not ruined.

http://imgur.com/a/kIygR - pics

Looks like yeasty goodness. You usually can't SEE infections in a few days, but just keep an eye one it.

3. Default

That makes me feel better thanks

That's what we usually call krausen. Dregs of foam left over from a vigorous ferment. It also has a couple of other meanings in the beer world. But what you have there is a "krausen ring". Nothing to worry about. Can you say krausen if it's not beer?

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

5. Default

Good news is it all started to settle down yesterday. guess i was just being to worried. :P

Give your carboy a swirl to get that mixed back in, it'll eventually settle out and it's easier to get off the bottom of the carboy as dregs than if it dries in the neck or shoulders of the carboy (another Chevette Girl lesson in laziness, er, um, I meant efficiency)
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014