• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Centrifuge

Barrel Char Wood Products

Paladin906

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 8, 2014
Does anyone have any experience with a commercial grade centrifuge used to clear and help halt fermentation of wine/mead? Also, does anyone know where I can purchase one?

Paladin906

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 8, 2014
Yeah. I imagine it would be expensive. I did a Google search and found a used one for around $2400 but there wasn't much information on it. My first 2 gallon batch is turning out great thanks to the members of this forum. I will eventually graduate to 5 gallon batches. It would be nice to find a centrifuge that could do at least a gallon at a time.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Your realistic choices are SuperKleer or filtering.

Better brewing through science!

Paladin906

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 8, 2014
You may be right. I'm gonna keep at it though. I may have found one. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the replies.

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Before you purchase a centrifuge consider the following:
1. Where are you going to use this? Home or business location?
2. What is the size and weight of the device?
3. 1-phase or 3-phase? Voltage?
4. What is the size of the motor and does it have some type of soft start or drive?
5. Do you know an electrician that can help you install a power circuit if one is needed?
6. What country are you in?

There are a few more things that need answered, but these are the easy ones. If you figure that stuff out, post the answers, and we can advise you on the feasibility.

One last thought: if the above questions discourage you, then don't feel too bad because that is my intention. The purchase, installation, and operating costs could be a lot higher than you anticipate. IMO, not worth it for the home mazer. A person could buy a LOT of SuperKleer and still have some change left over.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
I've recently been building a small, continuous flow centrifuge.
I'm not allowed to discuss design, but it will do infinitely large samples because fluid is fed in through a pipe whilst it's running, and drawn off the same way.

What I would ask is: WHY?
In brewing, what could you want with one?

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
You could separate some solids and yeast from the must. Probably still would want to filter after. Might be nice if you want to speed up the settling process and not use chemicals.

BTW, I am unable to resist the impulse to ask a question regarding your continuous flow centrifuge despite your warning. Are you able to disclose the motor size and if it is single or three-phase? Just curious.

Paladin906

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 8, 2014
Lol. No problem.

1. Where are you going to use this? Home or business location?
At first home but realized that this is unrealistic . if I continue to enjoy the hobby and become good at making mead, I will seriously look into investing in a small, commercial meadery.
2. What is the size and weight of the device?
(LXWXH) = 2' X 1' X 4'. Now, the weight was the spec most shocking. I figured the seller got it wrong/maybe typo. 500 lbs?
3. 1-phase or 3-phase? Voltage?
I haven't gotten a definitive answer but I think it is 3-phase. 380v
4. What is the size of the motor and does it have some type of soft start or drive?
1.5 kw. I can't answer the second part of your question.
5. Do you know an electrician that can help you install a power circuit if one is needed?
I have one of two that have done some work for me in the past.
6. What country are you in?
U.S.

The price quoted new, if interested, would be $3800 USD.

It looks like, for now, I will experiment with a good filter and revisit the centrifuge if/when I get to the commercial phase.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
You could separate some solids and yeast from the must. Probably still would want to filter after. Might be nice if you want to speed up the settling process and not use chemicals.

BTW, I am unable to resist the impulse to ask a question regarding your continuous flow centrifuge despite your warning. Are you able to disclose the motor size and if it is single or three-phase? Just curious.

It's small. It uses a servo drive. It's medical application.
The bit you're interested in could be achieved with a small single phase motor or a big 3 ph.
The difference would be flow rate.
That's about all.

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Paladin,

380V 50Hz systems are, with a few exceptions, used everywhere except the Americas. Most of the Americas use either 208V or 480V 3-phase power systems at 60Hz. The centrifuge motor should be fine hooked up to 60Hz, it would just spin a little faster. The centrifuge controller might not work, though. Regardless, utilities won't provide 3-phase power to individual residential units anyway.

500 pounds is probably accurate once you add in a skid, controller, vibration absorbers, etc.

Paladin906

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 8, 2014
Thanks Guys,

I've been looking into a centrifuge since I started this hobby. I wonder: 1) how many RPM's would be required to separate a mead? 2) how many home mazers/vintners/brewers would be interested in a centrifuge if one were practical in size/use/cost? 3) can a practical home centrifuge be manufactured? I'm not an engineer so I don't have the answers but if I were an engineer and the market could sustain a device like this, I'd get on it.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
You probably could produce something like this.

Though the issue is the same, that it costs what people would consider reasonable. It would have to be in the home plus sort of price, otherwise it wouldn't sell in sufficient numbers.

Lots make 1-5 gallon batches, but once they have a go at a larger size batch, think twice.

It's what gives commercial level simplification it's benefit. Either cheaper ingredients, cheaper process kit or vast increase in production speed to be able to reach a wider market.

Is it possible for such a piece of kit to have additional uses, so that it's more than just a shiny bit.of luxury kit that's "nice to have" ?

Paladin906

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 8, 2014
I've been using tapatalk to post and respond in this thread. A lot of my replies did not go through and I missed a lot of replies by others. First, thank all for replying.

"Is it possible for such a piece of kit to have additional uses, so that it's more than just a shiny bit.of luxury kit that's "nice to have" ?"

When I originally created this thread, I was actually seeking the answer to this question. I worded my questions poorly. I had already done some research into the cost and impracticality of a centrifuge. Can a centrifuge actually halt a fermentation? Will it clear a fermentation? If it can effectively do both, be affordable and practical, this can have major value to even the home mazer. Spinning a mead can potentially separate it from any remaining yeast, halting fermentation at the same time effectively clearing it. This allows me to be more precise in that I can stop fermentation at a predetermined sg while avoiding chemicals and other substances that can effect the mead. The turn around time on my meads I assume will be quicker by eliminating some of the time used to cease fermentation and clear. The quicker turnaround time will allow for more time to develop or improve recipes.

"I've recently been building a small, continuous flow centrifuge.
I'm not allowed to discuss design, but it will do infinitely large samples because fluid is fed in through a pipe whilst it's running, and drawn off the same way. "

What will your centrifuge be used for?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns