• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Beginner; First Time JAO - Valve Jerrycan?

Barrel Char Wood Products

EgmondsGoud

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Hey there.

I'm planning to brew my very first beginner mead batch, balloon and all, from a 5-liter JAO recipe by using a valve equipped jerrycan:
53dfbb24edef784b628b2daf57f3c345.png

http://www.jerrycanshop.nl/jerrycan...rycan-5-liter-met-kraantje-voor-water-24.html

It's made of high food-grade HDPE so it's suitable to contain the batch.
Seeing as the JAO recipe doesn't require any racking at all, this looks like the perfect container to make it in since, I imagine, you'd just use the valve to retrieve the mead out of the batch when ready to bottle, without any hassle of siphoning.

A few questions worry me though; is this going to work properly? Is the valve high enough so it doesn't take out all the yeast sediment when extracting the mead? Am I overlooking something crucial? Also, could I just clean this container with a bleach-water mixture?

Thanks in advance for any help.

clone63

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 1, 2013
Belleville, ON
You'll have to cut the orange quite small so it comes out ok come time to clean it out.

I couldn't say about the valve being the right height. If it's too high, just tip it near the end. If it's too low and you get sediment, just don't start bottling until it's passed. If you get an orange chunk gummed up in it then you'll just have to do it the old fashioned way.

I would figure if it works out, then you've got a very convenient way to do JAOM. If not, then you haven't really lost anything, just do it as if it were a carboy.

Note the plastic may not give a good idea if the mead has cleared just by looking.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Fit an elbow to the inside of the valve to encourage mead to be drained from the top, rather than causing currents in your yeast slurry.

While the recipe says bottle direct from the carboy, there's no problem other than logistics with racking it.
Being as you're using a 20 litre jerry, you could rack it into 4xgal (us) bottles and then bottle once it has settled again.
This will ensure an ultra clean JAO with less/no lees in the bottle.

(Don't beat yourself up, my first 8 JAO had sediment form in the bottle, either through poor bottling skills or not being as clear as I thought it was)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Just make sure BEFORE you stick mead in it that the valve doesn't leak, I've just about given up on that kind of valve... I've had too many of them make a big mess!

If the valve does behave itself and you do use it for fermenting, a day or two before you bottle, give the jug a swirl and then sit it on a book or block of wood or something that tips it up so the valve is above the sediment when it all settles out again.

Bleach and water should work, although just good hot soapy water should be fine for a JAO.

EgmondsGoud

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Thanks for the tips and tricks so far. The elbow fitting is a good idea too. Someone also noted that I can also just tip the jerrycan away from the valve to make the sediments move towards the back, by just putting something solid underneath the front end of the jerrycan.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
Tipping away from the valve means you'll have more waste

The recipe always said that it didn't mean don't rack under any circumstances, it just meant racking wasn't needed. I've always racked a couple of times, once when it's cleared to get it off the lees and fruit, and then another time to get rid of the sediment I stirred up.

I've got ~11 gallons coming ready that was done this way and been aging for a couple of years

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns