Thread: Hot Mead

1. Default Hot Mead

Looking for help. I have been making mead for a little over a year. I use step a nutrient process and a temp controlled fermenter. I normally have my mead done with primary around 21 days. I start with a OG of 1.100 and end around 1.014. I ferment it at 66 degrees F. I fell that my mead always tasting hot (Very alcoholic tasting) even after letting it sit for a few weeks. I have tasted other meaderys that have a finished mead after 8 weeks and theirs seems smooth tasting. I have ran my mead through a plate filter and that has mellowed it out(5 micron), but then it seems to loses some of it honey flavor. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P.S. Yes, I know that if it sits for 2 years it might get better.

A lot of mead, especially traditionals, tastes hideous when young. There are ways of masking that, the cheapest way of "improving" is aging. 6 months minimum.......

Or maybe age on oak.

Or back sweetening.

Or fruit in secondary.

Etc.etc........
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

Besides what Bloke mentioned if it tastes to hot you can lower the initial gravity down to even like 1.080. What yeast are you using that isnt finishing this dry from just 1.100? WVMJ

4. Default

I am using 71b.

Weird. 71B should take it dry or close too.......
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

I'm thinking maybe you're not aerating or not using the correct nutrient (the most obvious problem would be if you're using just DAP). Otherwise maybe it's something to do with the recipe. Maybe fruit are causing too low PH or some fruit cause this hot taste. I think I heard breaking kiwi seeds in a blender produces a hot flavor, for example.
    If you don't wish to wait long for aging I hear BOMM are very drinkable after just one month. Basically use Wyeast 1388 instead of 71b
    "Shouldn’t we say wine is a mead-like beverage made with grapes substituted for the honey?" - Steve Piatz

Emmeloord, Netherlands formerly Chicago area

I agree with Fatbloke. 71B should take it dry. Something isn't right. If you post a mead log, perhaps we can figure it out
    Don't Panic!

From Portugal to Poland, on a perpetual pursuit for more honey.....

Issues unique to the Netherlands at
    http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...880#post222880

8. Default

I stop my mead before letting get to dry. I am not a big fan of backsweeting it. I just bought a PH meater and a ariation mix for a drill. I hope that this will help. What does everyone try to keep there PH at?

Emmeloord, Netherlands formerly Chicago area

3.3 means add potassium carbonate. After fermentation, you can add acid blend. As a matter of fact, if you want to stop fermentation, add acid and drop pH below 3.0, which usually will stop fermentation at your desired SG.
    Don't Panic!

From Portugal to Poland, on a perpetual pursuit for more honey.....

Issues unique to the Netherlands at
    http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...880#post222880