Thread: how to fix this

1. Default how to fix this

made a batch of mead on 11/11/13, used 5 qts honey (alfafa/clover), 2 tsp yeast nutrient, 1 tsp yeast energizer, 2 pack 1122 yeast, 1 tsp tannin. sp grav 1.130. 12/20/13 racked to carboy with sp grav of 1.060. checked it yesterday 11/1/14 sp grav still 1.060. what happened and can I fix this? The mead is dark/cloudy and taste sweet.
    Last edited by lazykmcranch; 11-02-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Reads like it was racked too early. Plus as a traditional type, there's little to buffer pH.

I'd suspect that if you tested pH, it may well be quite low. If/when it drops below 3.0pH, the yeast can stall.

It's equally possible that you could restart fermentation, by using the acclimatised restart technique.

Just search for restarting stuck ferments. You'll likely have to use a champagne yeast, like EC-1118.

I'm thinking that some potassium carbonate will likely help too.
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

3. Default

Thanks Fatbloke, I'll try that

For future batches you might want to hold off on racking until the SG is either near 1.000 or has stopped changing for a week. Sometimes racking it off the lees while it's active can stall it out. But never count on early racking to stall a batch you want to stop, yeast will rarely do what you want

If your pH is OK then a restart should work out just fine, I had a batch that stopped at 1.060 several years before I realized it'd stopped, so I restarted it with an acclimated starter using EC-1118 and it finished the rest of the ferment within a week.

And welcome to the forum!
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014