• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Excessive ads

Barrel Char Wood Products

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
I have not been online much recently due to other distractions, and I came back today to find Hidden Legend ads on every post. I do not mind discreet ads, but as a paying member of the GotMead community, I find the ads excessive and annoying. Am I the only one?

Dan

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Chrome must have some kind of ad blocker, I'm not seeing any unless I open gotmead in Firefox.

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
Chrome must have some kind of ad blocker, I'm not seeing any unless I open gotmead in Firefox.

Thanks CG. Dis you see the add after every single post in Firefox? That is how it was for me in Chrome on both my PC and Mac, but your post inspired me to find an ad blocker extension for Chrome. Now the adds are gone for me.

Dan

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I found one that works called ads no more.
I too found the ads to be over much. While it may not be my place to say so, well... you asked. ;)
I've looked at the website of the advertiser and, if I was in the market for their products, I would consider them. But I dont want/need to see it after every fraggin' post.

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
I found one that works called ads no more.
I too found the ads to be over much. While it may not be my place to say so, well... you asked. ;)
I've looked at the website of the advertiser and, if I was in the market for their products, I would consider them. But I dont want/need to see it after every fraggin' post.

Thanks Joe. You said what I was thinking. I have seen some websites where there were prevalent ads for non-paying members and no adds for paying members. I personally am fine with a single banner ad or two per page, but I was seriously disturbed by the ad on every single post.

I am using a Chrome extension called AdBlock. I understand that this defeats the worthwhile purpose of bringing ad revenue to the site, but until the ads are provided in a more reasonable manner I will just block them all.

Dan

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I'm not seeing it.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Thanks Joe. You said what I was thinking. I have seen some websites where there were prevalent ads for non-paying members and no adds for paying members. I personally am fine with a single banner ad or two per page, but I was seriously disturbed by the ad on every single post.

I am using a Chrome extension called AdBlock. I understand that this defeats the worthwhile purpose of bringing ad revenue to the site, but until the ads are provided in a more reasonable manner I will just block them all.

So now we're even because YOU said what I was thinking. I don't mind ads per se. They're a necessary evil, but they don't have to detract from my viewing pleasure. I did my due diligence and went to their website and looked around.

For what it's worth, I tried AdBlock in FireFox and didn't like it. Whatever works.

Perhaps there's a plan in the works here to minimize the ads to a banner or one or two ads down the side of the page or something. I'm the last person to try to tell the site owners here how to keep this thing up and running... they do a pretty fraggin' good job of it! Setting up these CMS systems can be a royal pain, especially if you're like me and have never failed to screw up a CSS while modifying it, and it may take some time. Until then, like you, I'll check occasionally to see the ad situation. I don't want to take revenue away from this site, especially since I've learned so much here, but how often should I have to pay for it? <G>

Last edited:

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
As many of you mentioned in the thread we are working to make GotMead.Com self funding. Going out of pocket to support the site is not a model that will keep GotMead.Com operating forever, so we are examinine alternatives. That said, we are working with the AD software we have to keep the subscriber experience less cluttered than the general population of registered users. We understand that people over time have grown accustomed to GotMead not being ad dense, but ads are the quickest way for us to realize revenue to support the site. If you see an ad give it a click and help us do so. I know it may take you away from the forum for a few seconds, but the clicks help us.

Cheers,

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Sorry guys, that was supposed to only show after the first post, not after every post. I'm still figuring out how to make that that work right. I'll give it some more work this week outside of my work obligations and get it fixed.

Oskaar has the right of it, I'm trying to make GM pay for itself, after 20 years of supporting it out of pocket. And you may notice that the ads that we do have are relevant, I will only take ads that are from meaderies, brewing supply companies or other related industry companies. I have had numerous offers for paid ads from non-related companies, but have turned them down. My goal is to keep Gotmead as a great info resource and gathering place, but it also has to make its own way in the world, or I'll have to let it die or sell it, and I *really* don't want that to happen. Just as an aside, several companies have offered to buy GM for fairly large sums over the last two years. I turned that down too, Gotmead is my baby and I want to keep it as a place for mead lovers to gather, visit and learn. The places that wanted to buy it wanted to make it a commercial site.

So work with me here on the ads. They will be relevant, I promise. And they won't be after every post, just the first one soon as I figure out why it is doing that and not what I thought I had it doing.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Maybe we can put together a poll to pick which kind of ads the population would like?

For example. Aside from mead and brewing, I wouldn't mind seeing high end audio advertising.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
Thank you Vicky.

Chevette Girl
I've removed my ad blocker for this site :)

joemirando
Awesome! I'm dumping the ad blocker!

Me too.

mannye
Maybe we can put together a poll to pick which kind of ads the population would like?

I agree. I would not mind ads for other types of things if they are nicely integrated into the site. We all want the site to be self-sustaining.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns